Thread: Boot light comes on when boot is shut, alarm goes off

Post Thanks / Like

Boot light comes on when boot is shut, alarm goes off

So this has started this evening.... Was sat in the house and heard a car alarm go off. Ignored it, then after a while I thought.... 'mmmmm could be mine'. Went outside and right enough, my alarm is going off. Checked car over, and everything seemed normal. Alarm goes off again 10 mins later. So took car for a run to the end of the road and straight away I twigged why the alarm is going off.

The boot light on dash was intermittently going on and off, making the driver and passenger space lights go on and off. Checked boot and it closes properly. Locked car and everything locks, but of course looking in window, boot light displays on the dash. Having had a read of other forums, (mostly Audi forums this appeared) most pointed to leaking rear washer pipe, shorting the boot latch sensor. Makes sense to me and only thing that I can see that could be wrong. I did use the rear washer a bit this afternoon coming home from work.

Anyone else had this issue? If so, was it the rear washer pipe leaking over the sensor? Car is still under Arnold Clark warranty, so I plan on taking it back to them to get it fixed. The VW dealer of course!

Thanks in advance.

2003 Passat AllTrack 2.0L

Post Thanks / Like
    Just drove to Tesco... The boot light went off. Might be a glitch, but the fact it happened once, is enough for me to take it back to the garage to get seen to.
    2013 Passat AllTrack 2.0L

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. Did you manage to get to the bottom of this problem? I've had the same issue with the alarm going off randomly and the dashboard showing the boot lid indicator on the dash going on and off intermittently. I've also noticed that the brake light on the boot lit staying on constantly even if I've locked the car. I've made an appointment to take it to the garage but in the meantime the battery's gone flat. Will post an update once it gets fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    On an estate this is usually the rear wiper motor washer jet feed dripping screen wash onto the switch.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Adnan View Post
    Hi. Did you manage to get to the bottom of this problem? I've had the same issue with the alarm going off randomly and the dashboard showing the boot lid indicator on the dash going on and off intermittently. I've also noticed that the brake light on the boot lit staying on constantly even if I've locked the car. I've made an appointment to take it to the garage but in the meantime the battery's gone flat. Will post an update once it gets fixed.
    Hi Jack,

Yes it was a leaking washer pipe as the crasher mentions. Arnold Clark VW replaced the loom and washer hose as car was still under warranty. Since fix, all good. I'd advise you get the rear washer pipe checked out.
    2013 Passat AllTrack 2.0L