Thread: Boot issues

Post Thanks / Like

Boot issues

I have a 2014 CC R-line that is a month out of warranty. Earlier this week I was putting something in the boot when the light went out, so I assumed the bulb had failed; however when I arrived at work the boot wouldn't open with the fob or the release switch on the driver's door. The lights that are mounted on the boot lid aren't working either (central part of the rear lights and reversing lights), but the part of the rear lights that are on the main bodywork are working fine.

The main dealer wants to charge for investigating and says they have never come across this before. I'm assuming it is wiring or fuse related as everything seems to be linked to the boot lid - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    2014 CC R-Line 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Broken wire(s) in the boot lid hinge.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 8x18 Wolfrace Pro-Lite eco 2.0 wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher - this is what my tried and trusted independent garage has told me is the likely cause. I'm off to the local main dealer this afternoon to try and plead for it to be repaired by VW as a goodwill gesture, seeing as the car is only a month out of warranty - I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I managed to persuade the main dealer in Mansfield to contact VW and ask for a goodwill payment - they didn't seem very keen and kept saying that I had to pay for them to diagnose the problem first, but I was understandably apprehensive to do this with no guarantee of a positive outcome. They phoned me back yesterday to say that VW aren't prepared to contribute at all, despite the car only being a month out of warranty.

I think it's really poor customer service but to be honest I'm not surprised - think I'll have a look myself as I've printed off some step-by-step instructions and it seems straightforward enough, hope I'm not tempting fate and don't end up with a pile of pieces that used to look like a CC!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've managed to fix the problem myself - once I'd removed the relevant trim I ordered a replacement boot wiring loom from TPS (42.00) and fitted it the following day, so everything is now back to working normally. The design is really poor - the wires are twisted and bent every time the boot lid opens and closes, so it will probably happen again at some point in the future.

Now it's out of warranty it will be serviced and maintained by the brilliant local independent garage that I've used for many years, but hopefully it will just be routine servicing now.