Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Golf - 1.0 or 1.4 engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero View Post
    Hmm....I was going by the read on the dash. Are you saying we can't trust these?
    Mine has been 8% optimistic since purchase.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    The MFD dash display and the infotainment display figures are an indication at best. My Touran's overall average mpg display is typically somewhere between 49 and 51 mpg, whereas the actual mpg using brim-to-brim refuelling and odometer readings hovers around 47 mpg. Close, but is actually about 6% optimistic. Somewhere on this forum is a post from an owner who had the dealer 'correct' it.
    The dealer can adjust the calculation by altering a 'fiddle factor' using their diagnostics, they alter a percentage if I'm remembering the post correctly.

Having said all that though real mpg is affected by so many factors; driving style, number of passengers or load, weather, traffic type of road, gradients and so on. I've found a quite reliable method to compare/predict mpg. I take my existing vehicle's mpg and compare it to the published overall combined mpg from the manufacturer. If its better mpg then I'm fairly sure I'll get better mpg in the new vehicle if worse then it will be worse on the new vehicle. Doesn't sound very scientific but has been right over the last 20 years and 4 cars.
    2013 Touran 2.0 TDI (CFHC - D91) SE DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) SE DSG Silver. ( I was previously posting as thamestrader)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always done it as I put down.

The dash is only a guide not the overall start to finish, somebody will put me right if this wrong.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV EVO 1.5 TSI 130 5 Door Tornado Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john2 View Post
    I have always done it as I put down.

The dash is only a guide not the overall start to finish, somebody will put me right if this wrong.
    I don't know how the Golf set-up works but on the Sharan you have three settings:

Current MPG as you look at the readout.
    MPG for your current journey (Re-sets after you have been parked up for 2 hours or more).
    Your average MPG (Re-sets after around 2600 miles)

My car has just re-set the average for the second time, having done 5300 mile and I'm averaging just under 40 MPG although it will do well over 50 MPG on a long run.

I've checked this against the old tried and tested method of checking from one full tank to the next and the figures produced by the car seem to be fairly accurate.

Gra
    Last edited by GraUK; 12-04-18 at 00:22.
    2017 Sharan SEL 2.0 TDI-CR, SCR 184 6spd DSG, Atlantic Blue, Palladium Grey Alcantara, Xenon headlights, electric rear doors, rear camera, folding mirrors, Dynaudio sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    As you see the accuracy of the dash display does vary between vehicles/drivers With regards to the reset of overall figures (MPG, Average Speed, Distance, Driving time), that depends on which of Distance and Time reach 9999 first, on many cars its a 4 digit display so its either 9999 miles or 99hrs and 59 minutes. This is also discussed on another thread, (
    http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22482&page=4&p=100106#post100106
    ) for most drivers, in the UK at least, it is the time which reaches the maximum first.
    2013 Touran 2.0 TDI (CFHC - D91) SE DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) SE DSG Silver. ( I was previously posting as thamestrader)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12