Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washer pump issue...Fuse?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    Looks like two separate pumps to me, items 10 and 12.
    https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/c.../9/955-955010/

This is great thank you. Tried again this morning and the headlight washers are working OK. Still nothing (water or sound) coming from windscreen washer system. Am I correct in thinking that if due to being frozen over the past few days that something may have tripped to protect the pump? Someone mentioned the J519 module but I cant find where that is on the CC. TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikyBob View Post
    Hello! May I suggest that any/all pumps and also pipes may be frozen which is as you're thinking. Suggest you try adding some warm water to the header tank (but not boiling it will melt!) and or add concentrated winter additive then try washers after a while as iirc the pump is sometimes housed in the washer header tank. If nothing still take the car somewhere relatively warm for a while, maybe a sheltered multi storey car park? The heat from the engine will soak into the rest of the under bonnet area. Try again with washers, if there is any sound from the pump(s) then be cautious as the water in the pipes may be frozen still and pressure from the pump will likely blow the tubing off at any joins, usually in a tricky place such as inside tailgate, wing or suchlike. Happened to me and poured into boot from tailgate join. If you can't get somewhere warmer then borrowing a hairdryer and giving a waft is my only suggestion! As previously posts mention, the pump, in my experience used not to be fused, but short circuit protected being safety related, possibly good news.
    Being a VW die hard I only use the VAG screen wash for fan jets year round and adjust concentration according to season after being caught out as above, it has served me well! Anyway good luck fixing this!
    Thanks for the advice. The fluid isn't frozen as I've visually inspected it and the headlamp washers are now working OK. Only issue is the windscreen washer system. As you have said something may have tripped. It has been suggested that this is in the J519 control module but I have no idea where that is! If indeed something has tripped is there any way for me to reset it?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is partially good news then! I still think you have a gradual thaw and the screen washer pump if not making a noise when operated is still frozen. Imho the power will auto reset as has happened with the headlamp washer. Are your journeys including motorways this weekend? If on A roads get a de-icer pump spray and make a 50% solution of de-icer and water, you can lean out of the window and spray the screen! Wouldn't try this at motorway speeds though, however you may be ok on certain parts of the M62 though......
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi SpikyBob,
    i have a 2015 Tiguan R line, all has been great up till this cold weather. Used the washers the other day now nothing. Headlamps washers working, and its been 2 days above freezing, checked all the fuses as far as practical. None appeared blown, but washers not working still. I have rung the garage not able to look at it till 27th... how do you reset the J519 if that’s the problem. I cant believe everytime, it gets cold we could have this problem, sounds like a major design fault from VW. This is the first problem, I’ve had since The car,
    2015 Tiguan 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikyBob View Post
    you may be ok on certain parts of the M62 though......
    Can't believe you said that!
    During countless HGV trips on the M62 over 20 years I did that very thing but it was a Fairy Liquid bottle with 50% deicer fluid which at least cleared part of a massive screen.
    Hartshead Moor services was a sanctuary to do a proper job.
    Miss those days? - No.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhog View Post
    how do you reset the J519 if that’s the problem
    You can't, you need to code read it to see if the J519 sees a problem with the system. This won't keep happening if you keep the correct concentration of approved screen-wash additive in there when a cold spell approaches. It is not just VW, my stores mans Fiat 500 failed it's MOT last week on this just because they were frozen. It is to do with this characteristic of water to go solid at 0 degrees C or thereabouts.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just reading one of the airgun forums, I guy on there had exactly the same problem, so he disconnected the battery waited reconnected and it had reset the system and the pump worked. !! maybe worth a try( make sure you got the radio code if needed).
    2010 Golf S 1.6 TDI-CR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12