Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not So Honest John ?

Post Thanks / Like
    "Honest John" is more of a brand now rather than an individual person. They've even started doing car reviews on YouTube.
    Jan 2017 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI DSG Performance Pack. 5Dr Carbon Grey.
    Previous: 2010 Golf mk6 GT 2.0 TDI DSG

2. Likes topgazza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That idiot John is totally anti VAG group, an ill informed knob who has not the faintest idea of what he is talking about so do not take any notice of a word that he says, most is utter drivel.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

4. Likes Sam&Anne, topgazza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't disagree with any of that
    2013 Golf 1.4 TSI, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I would look at his site today.First the forums.In response to a perfectly reasonable question about golf headlights the thread quickly became an anti DSG rant.
    Then in the weekly column there are a number of negative comments.
    The one that amused me in particular was when someone was advised not to have dsg even though they had stated that they had done 21k miles in a skoda with it and were perfectly happy with it.
    He particularly hates the dq200 variant.

7. Likes topgazza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can only think he has been unlucky with one.Yes, there was an issue with the "wrong" oil in the earlier DQ200 boxes which was rectified but mine is a 2013 version and is as sweet as they come. You're right its more of a rant and a blam=nket "dont buy" statment everytime ignoring the many thousands who have them and have no problem.All auto boxes have there oddities and you just adjust your driving and expectations to suit. Sure there is a little delay when pulling away but thats the personality of the box and its so minimal as to be hardly noticable. He's just an idiot
    2013 Golf 1.4 TSI, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Other things that he's particularly keen on -
    Michelin Cross Climate tyres
    BP & Shell premium diesel
    Personally I'll stick to supermarket diesel
    but will replace the tyres with Cross Climate when the time comes

Regarding DSG a torque converter is much better than a DSG pulling away (the 8 speed ZF in a BMW 1 series was the best I've ever driven)
    2015 Golf SV SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG, climate, KESSY, parking, winter pack, dark rear glass, park assist
    Engine code: CRLB
    Gearbox code: QMM

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have noticed he never misses a chance to push Shell premium.I have used supermarket fuel for years without a problem.I have never noticed my car hesitating.If anything I have to be careful not to floor the accelarator or it flies.

Post Thanks / Like
    As an outsider with no axe to grind, I could not help noticing how few previous posts some of the noisiest supporters have. As ever, caveat emptor.
    2013 Passat B7 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Thread Revival! After having my Jetta Sport DSG for 4.5 trouble free years, I would never buy another Manual box car ever!, I love the way it drives.
    2007 Jetta Sport 2.0 TDI-PD (BKD), DSG 82400 miles
    2008 EOS Sport 2.0 BWA DSG 59500 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    If I ever do replace my Octavia 1 I will be looking for a DSG, they are FAR more reliable than manual boxes and with the DQ250, the clutch will last 200K without problems. The only thing is that when they do fail, they are expensive to fix. The DQ200 has had problems but mostly caused by the use of lead free solder as if a child gets hold of a Mechatronic unit and starts sucking on the circuit board. they may fall ill from lead poisoning...
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

14. Likes Renars, oktember liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12