2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on Zero you have just got yours cannot br thinking of changing yet
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV EVO 1.5 TSI 130 5 Door Tornado Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john2 View Post
    Come on Zero you have just got yours cannot br thinking of changing yet
    Well, the car has done 800 miles!

No seriously, love my tech, but will probably keep this one for 6 years like my old Mk6

Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh come on a 1lt 3 cylinder in a car the size of a Golf. The Americans are sensible enough not to buy it but no doubt it will sell here. Good to see VW are continuing with the 2.0lt diesel which will hopefully be even more environmentally friendly than the current much improved Euro6 cars.

Gra
    2017 Sharan SEL 2.0 TDI-CR, SCR 184 6spd DSG, Atlantic Blue, Palladium Grey Alcantara, Xenon headlights, electric rear doors, rear camera, folding mirrors, Dynaudio sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GraUK View Post
    Oh come on a 1lt 3 cylinder in a car the size of a Golf. The Americans are sensible enough not to buy it but no doubt it will sell here. Good to see VW are continuing with the 2.0lt diesel which will hopefully be even more environmentally friendly than the current much improved Euro6 cars.

Gra
    Actually the tech side is so good now 1ltr and 3 cylinder wuld have plenty of poke for the 'average' motorist (not the one that does 85 down the fast lane).
    I used to drive 2 litre Accords but now I find that my 1.5 litre Golf is much faster, as was my 1.4. Test driving a 1 litre Golf was also positive.

It would not surprise me if the new Golf 8 had electric tech similar to a hybrid. Things are changing fast

I would say try it before making your mind up

Post Thanks / Like
    The hybrid Golf is an environmental joke, can you imagine when it is 10 years old and the battery fails that anyone is going to spend (at today price, not in a decade) £6695 PLUS labour having a new battery fitted? Research I read (and now can’t find) has stated that a hybrid car will need to last 17 years WITHOUT a replacement battery to pay back the environmental damage caused when making the car, never mind charging and running it! In around 30 years from now the planet is going to find itself with millions of tonnes PER year of expired Lithium Ion batteries that it does not know what to do with and these are batteries that explode when they get wet..... absolute insanity, this is a video of a tiny AA cell battery getting wet, a hybrid battery contains thousands of cells like this.

2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

7. Thanks Sam&Anne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree but we are going there. As for electric cars it depends on where the electricity is sourced. Let’s hope for nuclear fission, new battery tech and quantum mechanics with lasers at every service station 🤢

Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping for a solution to turn up is insanity personified, the Allies and Hilter hoped for that and what the Allies got was the atom bomb, Tony Blair and Golden Brown were advised by some Kiwi adviser (the same bloke as advised over WOMD) of an imminent technical solution to Diesel killing people and the early stages of that turned up 20 years too late when the horse had already bolted. Why should we go down a road that is a blind alley and hope to find nirvana at the end? We are just as likely to find a locked gate. In 30 years I will be dead God willing and so I won’t see the burning pires of dumped Lithium Ion batteries scarring the countryside. I was out in the lower end of Sherwood Forest the other night trying to test a car I have been building and I stopped in a lay bay to make an adjustement and could see piles of rubbish dumped down at the side, at least they were not Lithium Ion batteries, yet!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    It would not surprise me if the new Golf 8 had electric tech similar to a hybrid. Things are changing fast
    Hi Zero
    My car is exactly the same model as yours but it's the DSG version. This car is like a semi hybrid in that it has a secondary battery (under passenger seat) and when the car coasts the engine is switched off completely and the secondary battery is used to power steering and brakes. I can get really good mpg with this car up to around the same as my old 1.6 TDI.
    However as you can see in my other posts there are problems with this new technology which VW are attempting to resolve but its proving difficult and extremely frustrating.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5 TSI EVO

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Zero
    My car is exactly the same model as yours but it's the DSG version. This car is like a semi hybrid in that it has a secondary battery (under passenger seat) and when the car coasts the engine is switched off completely and the secondary battery is used to power steering and brakes. I can get really good mpg with this car up to around the same as my old 1.6 TDI.
    However as you can see in my other posts there are problems with this new technology which VW are attempting to resolve but its proving difficult and extremely frustrating.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5 TSI EVO