Thread: Scirocco 2.0 TDI not starting when hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Scirocco 2.0 TDI not starting when hot.

I have a 2010 Scirocco 2.0 TDI and have recently had an issue with the car not starting whilst the engine is still warm/hot. E.g I will be driving, stop to refuel and then the engine won’t start. I have to attempt anything between 2 to 8 times for the engine to start up. Once started it drives fine.

Been to see my mechanic and no codes show up and he was left a bit baffled by the situation ?!
    Any suggestions ?

Post Thanks / Like
    What product did he use to scan it? Vcds?
    2018 Caddy Highline 2.0 TDI Engine: ?yet to be discovered?

Post Thanks / Like
    See my comments a thread below this on my 1.9D Skoda Pick Up engine where I had the same problem. Solved completely by removing the wires from the temperature sender! But of course, I had no indication of the engine temperature afterwards.

A couple of days ago I replaced the sender, on advice of Crasher, with a new genuine part (paid the extra just to be sure it would work...) and it certainly helped my other issues, but then re-introduced the hot start issue but not as bad as it was before.

This problem was rife in Range Rovers fitted with BMW engines I remember. There was a fix in the form of a small box of electronics that blocked all signals from the temp sender on initial start up that in fact the engine took as it being cold and increased the fuel squirt that started the engine instantaneously and once started, the electronics shut off allowing normal communication from the sender. I see they are still available on ebay - search under 'diesel hot start'.

But before this though, try disconnecting the sender and see if the issue goes away and then replace the sender...
    2001 Skoda Felicia Pick Up 1.9 SDI

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

As asked what did your mechanic use to scan for error codes, VAG-COM\VCDS?

Post renamed and moved to correct section.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    If disconnecting the temp sender stops a hot start issue then the starter motor is under performing and not hitting the required minimum 280rpm.

Hot start issues on a common rail TDI can be nasty to track down and we start with an injector leak off test.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: