Thread: Question about splitting USB signal

Post Thanks / Like

Question about splitting USB signal

Hi all,
    I have a new golf SE Nav. It has one USB port, which I have to use to plug in my iphone 6. I wanted to split this so that I could also put in a USB stick which has a lot of my songs on it. I tried using a cheap ebay hub I have but the dreaded "device not recognised" message comes up (though the hub works elsewhere). Are there good hubs and bad? I know for example that a usb cable plugged into the cigarette lighter will charge a phone but not transfer data.

I would be happy to fit an after market USB port if it were feasible.

?

Z
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    I needed to put a hub in a project Golf 5 so that it could have a dash PC showing the diagnostic display of VCDS and the aftermarket engine management system. I had a struggle finding a USB BUS that worked and not misdecribed as a BUS when it was only a charge but I found the https://www.atolla.us/product/atolla-4-port-usb3-hub. To make this work properly I had to use an accessory socket USB adapter and a USB to suitable 1.35/3.5 mm pin plug so for less than 20 I had a very effective car hub with expansion room.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    To make this work properly I had to use an accessory socket USB adapter and a USB to suitable 1.35/3.5 mm pin plug so for less than 20 I had a very effective car hub with expansion room.
    I did not understand this bit. I have a single USB port (not just a charger) in my golf surely I could just plug it in? It does not look like it needs additional power like some PC hubs

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI people I found this today: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322473958992

It's an Aux to USB cable - I hope it's going to provide a second data capable USB port that I need. On my golf there is a Aux port next to the USB cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the USB socket to charge the IPhone or to communicate with the IPhone? If its only for charging a separate charger insert for the 12v socket might be less hassle.
    2013 Touran 2.0 TDI (CFHC - D91) SE DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) SE DSG Silver. ( I was previously posting as thamestrader)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Touranasaurus View Post
    Are you using the USB socket to charge the IPhone or to communicate with the IPhone? If its only for charging a separate charger insert for the 12v socket might be less hassle.
    As a data cable

Post Thanks / Like
    I have now tried a USB hub, and a audio to USB cable and both do not work. I would like to use my USB sticks to play audio whilst my apple phone is also plugged in. I have not found a way of doing so. If I plug in the USB stick via the audio/usb cable it says "track list not recognised". If I try the phone it says device not recognised. The tracklist is identical to an SSD I have so the identical music plays via SSD (which I copied as a test).
    Obviously, I need a USB port that does more than charge, one that also transfers data. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Z

Post Thanks / Like
    ZeroZero at the risk of being a wet blanket... I think what you are attempting may not be possible. USB ports and connections on phones and in cars do not necessarily conform to the full USB specification as used by PCs. On a PC there are USB drivers running on the hardware that actually manage the transfer of data and communications with the devices that are attached to the USB ports. When you connect a hub to a PC USB port the PC has to manage the additional USB ports on the Hub effectively there are now 4 physical ports with separate addresses that are accessed through the one PC USB port.

I suspect that the hardware built into the media/radios within cars only supports a subset of the USB specification, quite possible only the power and Audio signals. Its possible that both phone and car manufacturers have selected the USB connector for these functions because its a universally available connector.

My Touran has a Media interface which has a custom VW plug and socket, there are various cables with different ends, full size USB, micro USB, Apple Ipod/IPhone etc. When I use the USB connectors its just power, I have to use Bluetooth audio to get music off a non-apple phone. With an Ipod or IPhone the custom plug and socket provides a lot more functionality, the radio is able to navigate the music library on the Ipod.
    2013 Touran 2.0 TDI (CFHC - D91) SE DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) SE DSG Silver. ( I was previously posting as thamestrader)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Touranasaurus View Post
    ZeroZero at the risk of being a wet blanket... I think what you are attempting may not be possible. USB ports and connections on phones and in cars do not necessarily conform to the full USB specification as used by PCs. On a PC there are USB drivers running on the hardware that actually manage the transfer of data and communications with the devices that are attached to the USB ports. When you connect a hub to a PC USB port the PC has to manage the additional USB ports on the Hub effectively there are now 4 physical ports with separate addresses that are accessed through the one PC USB port.

I suspect that the hardware built into the media/radios within cars only supports a subset of the USB specification, quite possible only the power and Audio signals. Its possible that both phone and car manufacturers have selected the USB connector for these functions because its a universally available connector.

My Touran has a Media interface which has a custom VW plug and socket, there are various cables with different ends, full size USB, micro USB, Apple Ipod/IPhone etc. When I use the USB connectors its just power, I have to use Bluetooth audio to get music off a non-apple phone. With an Ipod or IPhone the custom plug and socket provides a lot more functionality, the radio is able to navigate the music library on the Ipod.
    Thank you. You are no "wet blanket". You are prossibly right, your explanation makes some sense. My VW golf Mk 6 Match had a custom VW plug with a VW /USB lead. When I plugged in these same USB sticks they worked on that machine, but this may be a different tale...

thanks for the input

Z