Thread: Beetle oil over fill.

Post Thanks / Like

Beetle oil over fill.

Hi all,

My neighbours 2007 Beetle 1.4 BCA Luna came home on the back of a low loader last night, she's just asked me to take a look at it. She claims that the oil light started flashing before it died on the motorway. When I checked the dipstick expecting to find no oil, to my horror there was almost twice as much as should be. I've drained off about 3.5 litres, started it up and all seemed fine.

However once you rev it up the oil light flashes but goes away on tickover. I've switched it off and told her not to start it until I've finished investigating further. I'm guessing she's popped something and has little or no oil pressure however I can't be certain, would anybody have an idea I can follow please?

Cheers
    Alan.
    Neighbours: 2007 Beetle Luna 1.4 16v BCA, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a good oil pressure gauge fitting to make sure it has good oil pressure. No oil pressure don't drive car else you will need another engine. Then you can check all wiring and connections then replace the oil pressure switch.

I'm not sure is that 1.4 is the same as others talked about in here. The oil pickup pipe in the sump gets blocked with crap. Crasher will tell you more when he reads this.

Over filled have they put to much oil in and not checked the dipstick. Or over filled because access petrol is being washed down the bores and making the oil level higher.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Likes joe90 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The overfilled oil may have gone into the breather and then though the combustion process, into the exhaust and contaminated the lambda sensor hence the engine light. It MAY not have a pressure fault, some people misinterpret the level check yellow oil light and this can give the wrong info if the bonnet opening switch fails so the inexperienced just keep adding more and more oil. The red oil light is the ohh **** one.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

5. Likes joe90 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply. No she has been topping it up thinking it was the right thing to do as she thought that "cars always burn oil don't they?" Just wondering if the excess oil pressure could have killed the oil pump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher, the engine did sound rattley when I started it so I'm guessing that there's some damage there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the red warning light on when the engine is running?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

9. Likes joe90 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the late reply Crasher, I've been on nights. My neigbour took a chance driving the car to work, she said that the red oil light kept flashing and beeping until the car stalled, she tried to restart it but said that the battery was flat. I've just tried it and it fired into life so I suspect that it's gone tight due to no top end oil feed. It had the usual BCA rattly sound when it started but did quieten down after a short while so oil seems to be going somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    So I've been trying to locate a good BCA replacement engine for my unlucky neighbour to no avail. Plenty out there that have already been ripped down from the car but there's no way I'm taking a chance on one of those for her. What I have stumbled across is a really sweet BCY engine with 31000 on the clock. My question is what are the fundamental differences, will it fit a Beetle and what will I have to do to make it work in the Beetle? Thanks.