Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New spec 2018 DSG coasting with ACC very frustrating

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first got my car, I found the coasting feature quite strange.
    But I'm used to it now and don't really notice the restarts except in stop/start traffic. (You know the sort of thing, as soon as the engine goes off the car in front moves away )
    Traffic Jam Assist does everything for me anyway, and I'm happy enough to let the car do the driving.

I imagine the coasting in a manual would feel very different from a DSG.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5 TSI EVO DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andy. Yes I have the same DSG as you. I have emailed VW to see if there is a way to disable engine off coasting, I know it kind of defeats the purpose of the Bluemotion model but I only went for it as I didn't want a 1 litre/3 cylinder engine. Everything else is user configurable including start/start, and coasting is disabled in sport mode so I can't see why its not a setting we can choose to enable/disable to our preference, especially in the Individual driving mode selection.

3. Likes AndyTandy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if - when our cars go for a service - there's a software update for all of the tech.
    I'm sure all these issues could be resolved with a new bit of firmware.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5 TSI EVO DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyTandy View Post
    I wonder if - when our cars go for a service - there's a software update for all of the tech.
    I'm sure all these issues could be resolved with a new bit of firmware.
    I hope so. They allow you to turn start/stop on/off, and also allow us to change drive style by putting it in sport mode, both of which lower MPG figures, so seems strange they dont have a setting for disabling the enhanced coasting. Seems like an oversight to me. I like the 2 cylinder thing because you can't notice it but the implementation of coasting is a love/hate kind of thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK VW agent is stating the same as you guys, that the system is activated/deactivated using the start/stop button. He may be misinterpreting my question, but as you have both stated the same i'm starting to wonder if its my car? Would you be so kind as to check next time you are out and about? Maybe look out for coasting when start/stop is switched off? Thank you so much

7. Likes AndyTandy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Skyfall
    I am not driving at the moment as doing a lot of DIY but will take the car out early next week and let you know.
    You may have read my other problems with start/stop and coasting functionality. I have been debating the issues with VW UK for 8 months now. They always say "this is how the car behaves" and I have had to persevere and prove to them the strange behavior I am seeing.
    Rather than repeat the information i will update that thread later as I have some more information.
    But in general I feel this new feature has some issues which VW need to resolve. I am told my car is a "one off" but i am not sure, and as Andy stated I also would have hoped for some software updates coming soon. When my car last went in a month back there were none.
    It seems like software issues to me and its hard to explain why changing the diode circuitry between the 2 batteries seems to fix at least some of these issues.
    Good luck with resolving your problem - and I hope you do not get into the same long term discussion that I have had to.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5 TSI EVO

Post Thanks / Like
    A quick stab in the dark, pardon me if youíve covered this. The driving mode selector isnít in eco by any chance? If I have my older dsg Golf In eco it messes the everything up including the engine braking situation. Every chance Iím barking up the wrong tree and apologies for butting in.
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bob
    I always drive in Eco, but in this new DSG version I have found there is not much difference in the normal (D) mode as far as coasting is concerned. It may accelerate slightly faster. But then again it could be a one off in my car.

I certainly think skyfall has a problem with his car. When you turn off start/stop is should not turn engine off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfall_62 View Post
    OK VW agent is stating the same as you guys, that the system is activated/deactivated using the start/stop button. He may be misinterpreting my question, but as you have both stated the same i'm starting to wonder if its my car? Would you be so kind as to check next time you are out and about? Maybe look out for coasting when start/stop is switched off? Thank you so much

Mine does exactly the same as yours. No matter if stop/start is turned on or off it still coasts when taking foot off the accelerator. Thatís in Eco and Normal driving modes. I hate it. I find having it in sports mode disables it but also rinses your fuel. Iíve changed from a manual polo to this car and not having engine braking (unless in sport mode) is kind of annoying. I donít feel like Iím in control of the car half of the time and also have to use the brakes more. I wish their was a way to just turn it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi R4GE
    When I am coasting down a really steep hill my car does bring the engine back on. And when its a gentle hill for me its a great feature apart from when you have to say turn left at the bottom of a gentle slope and the engine only comes back on when you accelerate out of the turn. It does come back on when you brake very hard and I suggested to VW that maybe it could be made more sensitive or even make it configurable, but they did not listen.

I will check again what happens to coasting on my car when start/stop is disabled - I was sure it kept the engine on. The last time I wanted to check it, I had the "Power consumption too high" message and that always keeps the engine running even with start/stop enabled.

I am sure the functionality around coasting and start/stop on the 2018 DSG bluemotion vehicle has a lot of problems which I have also reported in another thread. VW dealers and UK offices say my car is a one off and they are reliable. I am getting a new car at the end of this week so I shall see if the problems disappear.

The answer is really for everyone, if they expect an issue then report it to VW UK. If a lot of us do this then VW may start to take notice and investigate more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123