Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New spec 2018 DSG coasting with ACC very frustrating

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R4GE View Post
    Mine does exactly the same as yours. No matter if stop/start is turned on or off it still coasts when taking foot off the accelerator. Thatís in Eco and Normal driving modes. I hate it. I find having it in sports mode disables it but also rinses your fuel. Iíve changed from a manual polo to this car and not having engine braking (unless in sport mode) is kind of annoying. I donít feel like Iím in control of the car half of the time and also have to use the brakes more. I wish their was a way to just turn it off.
    Yer I'm not a fan at all. I try to avoid coasting all together and tend to go from accelerate to brake immediately to avoid engine cut off. Or just let it coast and then tap accelerator briefly before braking for the turn to flick engine back on again so it doesn't do it mid turn. Sport mode cuts it off but like you say uses more fuel and is less refined for peaceful town driving.
    I was annoyed because I got a 3 year lease so have 33 months left of it! Wanted the 150 BHP version but wasn't available at the time in SE Nav trim... Ironically im probably using more fuel by avoiding coasting than I would if it wasn't even a feature.

Like Bluemotionowner said, I just wish they would make the feature an option in the 'Individual' drive mode or make have engine come on at the slightest tap of the brake pedal. The fact its off in sport mode suggests the engine is capable of running with it off so should be a software option in settings in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hate to say this but I think the 150bhp would be the car for you.

It has not got the secondary battery so just coasts to idle. And when ACC is selected it does not coast at all - much better as it maintains the set speed. there does seem to be a fault with your cars as you should be able to turn off coasting when in eco and drive modes. I used to be able to.

I have had the 150 for a week and it suites me a lot better. Fuel economy is slightly worse than the 130 bluemotion; I reckon around 5mpg worse.

I also like the fact that when you touch the brakes when coasting it engages the gears, whereas on the 130 you had to slam the brakes quite hard for it to come on.

The 150 I have does seem to make a lot of weird noises (for around 30secs) when I switch off and remove the key and I am trying to determine if that is normal. Overall though I am much happier.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5 TSI EVO

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree the 150 (sin battery) acts in the ideal way, coasting at idle like the 130 does before its up to temp. Unfortunately i'm 2 months in to a 36 month lease. The coasting is acting as it should by design, it just not at all to my liking so unfortunately i'm not sure I can do anything to swap. How did you manage to swap yours out so quickly? Did you buy or lease? Wouldn't worry about the noises post shutdown, is it just a high pitched whining? Mine does exactly the same (130) I presume its some kind of A/C/Electrical related shutdown...

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are is still coasting with engine off when you switch off the start/stop then its not behaving itself as per design. At least my 130 did not coast when I turned off start/stop.

Its a long story as to why I managed to get a replacement vehicle which is documented in another thread. To summarise I had a problem where the vehicle would not coast. That got fixed with the diode circuit change which I think is what regulates the voltage between the 2 batteries. Then I started getting random messages on the start/stop display including a "power consumption too high message" when nothing was switched on. An engineer from Milton Keys met me and when they analysed the logs there were errors reported by the battery ECU so they admitted there was a problem and I got a full refund. It took 9 months though.

I got a replacement 130 just before Xmas and when I drove away from the dealer the car juddered when pulling away from stop. Which they admitted was a software fault. They had no idea when it could be fixed so I rejected it and managed to find a 150 which I now have.

I get the feeling that the 130 design with the extra battery is flawed and they need to do a lot of work to make it more reliable.

If I were you I would insist your car is not working correctly as designed and if its not working to your satisfaction would have thought you could reject. On a lease deal the 150 is probably not that much more expensive. I only paid £500 more for it over the 130

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had my Bluemotion for 3 months and I too find it disquieting - I have to confess that I haven't noticed the first point mentioned in this thread involving the slight gradient. I'll look out for it.

I bought mine pre-registered with 47 delivery miles yet it came with a used car warranty of just one year. The VW saleman sold me all sorts of extras but did not mention an extended warranty option - I think he did not want to alert me to that aspect. The starter motor issue could well be a case to call on the warranty. I'd feel happier with 3 years' worth.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Alan
    Yes I must say I am a lot happier with the 150ps. It behaves as I expect it to. And the economy will be roughly the same I think- maybe I lose a few mpg
    On you other point I would not worry as unless I am mistaken, you are entitled to the 3 years manufacturers warranty.
    I hope you were not roped into the gap insurance and that sort of extra - they tend to be a rip off from the dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfbluemotionowner View Post
    Hi Alan

On you other point I would not worry as unless I am mistaken, you are entitled to the 3 years manufacturers warranty.
    I hope you were not roped into the gap insurance and that sort of extra - they tend to be a rip off from the dealer.
    You are absolutely right - I just contacted VW and I had mistakenly read the date for the end of the Roadside Recovery as the expiry for the warranty. I've got the full 3 years. That's a relief.

The query that VW could not answer was how the display indicates that the car is in 2- cylinder mode. The handbook lists dozens of icons but is silent on that one.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    On the cluster, select the display where you get the consumption figure. I think its called drive data. you scroll round to get speed, time traveled oil temp etc.
    Then when you ease off the throttle it will display 2 cylinder. And you get the eco symbol.

On any other cluster display you will see the eco symbol appear when its in 2 cyliner mode and revs stay the same.
    If the eco symbol appears and revs cut to idle (or in you vehicle revs cut to zero) then its in coasting mode.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234