Thread: Mode settings

Post Thanks / Like

Mode settings

Please could you guys/ GALS with better knowledge than me tell me what the Mode settings do ?

ECO
    Normal
    Sport
    Individual

Thanks
    John
    Last edited by john2; 17-05-18 at 06:15.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV EVO 1.5 TSI 130 5 Door Tornado Red

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping that was a typo for 'guys / gals'

But to start answering your question... if you look at the Individual mode and then click 'Customise' you can see all the various settings that can be set to ECO, normal or sport. It's reasonable to assume that the ECO, Normal and Sport modes just set all these settings to ECO, Normal or Sport as appropriate. (But I'd add that on my 2015 car the ECO mode itself gives me coasting while setting the engine to ECO in the Individual Mode does not!)

From experience, I find that the ECO mode restricts the throttle setting and consumption of the aircon etc. while Sport keeps you in lower gears for longer (and my DSG never gets into 7th gear) and gives you less power assistance for the steering.

Again with my DSG car, I find the performance in ECO mode quite acceptable, as I can shift to Sport just by pulling the gear selector back momentarily.

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

3. Thanks john2 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CJJE

Must look at keyboard when I type it was a mistake.

Mine is a manual 6 speed box, I have tried the settings and have not really notice much difference between modes.

Maybe Sport seemed faster through the gears or was it just the name making me think it was faster !

Anyway great car really love it, my last VW was way back a 1967 Beetle 6 volt you had to open the window to close the door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heavier steering feel when I have my Golf in 'Sports' mode.
    2016 Golf Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125PS 5dr

Post Thanks / Like
    I dislike the ECO mode. When coasting it disengages the engine from the wheels and the engine goes to tick over. I think I may have mentioned this before, but I am aware that modern engines when coasting use little or no fuel at all, whereas when on tick over they are using in theory more fuel than coasting, so I cannot see how that is more economical.

I wasn't aware that ECO would "throttle back" the Air Con though, so that is interesting to know.
    2015 Golf SV GT 1.4 TSI (100kW/150ps/147HP - Engine Code: CZDA). 7 Spd DSG. Aztec Gold. Alcantara Upholstery - Titan Black/Quartz. Dijon 17" Alloy Wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john2 View Post
    Please could you guys/ GALS with better knowledge than me tell me what the Mode settings do ?

ECO
    Normal
    Sport
    Individual

Thanks
    John

Reply from VW :

our Technical Support Team. They have confirmed the characteristics of the driving profiles are as follows:

• Eco: switches the vehicle into economical mode and helps the driver to drive the vehicle in a fuel-efficient manner. Depending on the vehicle equipment level, coasting mode is available in the Eco driving profile.
    • Comfort: the driving profile creates a comfort-oriented vehicle set-up and is suited to poor roads or long motorway journeys, for example.
    • Normal: the driving profile has a balanced setting, e.g. for everyday use.
    • Sport: this setting gives the driver a sporty driving experience.
    • Individual: individual vehicle systems can be adjusted to suit personal requirements.

Further details can be found in the Owner’s Manuals, available online. Please visit the link below and enter your vehicle registration or chassis number to access this facility:

I have not tried the Individual setting yet.

Thanks all that replied.

J2