Thread: Mark 7.5 Golf GT 1.5 TSI EVO

Post Thanks / Like

Mark 7.5 Golf GT 1.5 TSI EVO

Hi took a golf 1.5 tsi 150bhp out for a test drive at weekend was very impressed, can any one tell me there thoughts on this engine ,is the mpg better then 1.4 tsi 150 bhp and how does it compare. Is it worth getting the 1.5 or instead go for the 1.4 . Any feed back
    Plus could some one measure the depth of the parcel shelf for me as do a bit of fishing and take the dog out so would like to know if it fits . Did take the tape but forgot to measure the parcel shelf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk99 View Post
    Hi took a golf 1.5 tsi 150bhp out for a test drive at weekend was very impressed, can any one tell me there thoughts on this engine ,is the mpg better then 1.4 tsi 150 bhp and how does it compare. Is it worth getting the 1.5 or instead go for the 1.4 . Any feed back
    Plus could some one measure the depth of the parcel shelf for me as do a bit of fishing and take the dog out so would like to know if it fits . Did take the tape but forgot to measure the parcel shelf.
    I had a 1.4 mk 6 Match 2012 pertrol manual. This car never really got over 35 mpg. Recently I traded it for a Golf Blue Motion 1.5 SE nav pertrol manual (130 bhp). Yesterday I got 60 mpg on a largely motorway drive. I often get 50-55 on a mixed drive, about town I can get 45 if I keep of the gas.

Really like my car, it has a little more elbow room that the golf mk 6 which I need. It is well made throughout and has lot's of tech. I like this, but it is true that a lot (like measuring G force, or lap timers) are boys toys. Takes w while to sort the wheat from the chaff. Everything else is superb, the drive is responsive and you get a great feeling of security. Interior is well constructed and well thougt out with the possible exception of the fact that you can't turn off the media AND have the navigation on except by turning the volume down (with your track still playing) - which is a pain in the parson's nose.
    The two cylinder tech (which basically turns off two cylinders when not required) make a difference in mpg, and to a lesser extent the stop start tech (which only works if the engine is warm, the seatbelt on, and the car in neutral).
    Last edited by ZeroZero; 09-05-18 at 21:11.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm finding the car gets less mpg than my old 1.4GT.
    I've done over 10k miles now and the long term reads 44 against 46 for the old 1.4.
    This is an improvement on my earlier whinge on the subject but still disappointing as early tests implied the car was 10% better.
    Apart from that the navigation/radio unit is much better and looks good. I have the digital instrument, climate control and winter pack which I think are worthwhile options if you can find a car with them included.
    On balance I do not find a lot of difference between the two engines so if you can find a well spec'ed run out 1.4 it should be cheaper to tax (my old GT was 20) and fuel.
    Insurance was also slightly cheaper.
    2017 Golf R-Line 1.5, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc001 View Post
    I'm finding the car gets less mpg than my old 1.4GT.
    I've done over 10k miles now and the long term reads 44 against 46 for the old 1.4.
    This is an improvement on my earlier whinge on the subject but still disappointing as early tests implied the car was 10% better.
    Apart from that the navigation/radio unit is much better and looks good. I have the digital instrument, climate control and winter pack which I think are worthwhile options if you can find a car with them included.
    On balance I do not find a lot of difference between the two engines so if you can find a well spec'ed run out 1.4 it should be cheaper to tax (my old GT was 20) and fuel.
    Insurance was also slightly cheaper.
    Well this surprises me. After 1500 miles i an now regularly getting 50-53 mpg. If I am on a motorway and it's not too hilly then I can get 60. In my old 1.4 (match) I got 35.

I have learnt to be very gently on the pedal and have redesigned my driving style - the car is set on eco and I avoid heavy pedal use.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero View Post
    Well this surprises me. After 1500 miles i an now regularly getting 50-53 mpg. If I am on a motorway and it's not too hilly then I can get 60. In my old 1.4 (match) I got 35.

I have learnt to be very gently on the pedal and have redesigned my driving style - the car is set on eco and I avoid heavy pedal use.
    Surprises me as well Zero zero.
    Previous GT was 150bhp used on similar route (50 mile commute each way, no towns).
    Both cars used in normal mode with occasional blips into sport as necessary.
    Don't get me wrong the economy is very good just not as good as the previous 1.4
    2017 Golf R-Line 1.5, DSG

Post Thanks / Like

VW Connect

Overall I appear to be getting 49.7 mpg, mainly localish stuff but a 100 mile motorway run yesterday. The ECO indicator showed quite often but not a lot of the coasting facility on the motorway.

Anyone using the VW Connect app on their phone?

I had dreadful trouble getting it to register and recognise the dataplug but now I'm finding it only registers the journeys if I have programmed the sat nat and then only records the outward journey. Set the sat nav for home and nothing happens.

Not so impressed by the sat nav either, not nearly as good as my old TomTom standalone. The VW does not give enlarged details at junctions or a special display if over the speed limit, but at least its a lot quicker recalculating the route, the voice is quite nice (sounds a bit like that posh totty in the lifts at Waitrose) and it displays a certain amount of traffic information.
    2018 Golf 1.5 EVO Nav. DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the long term MPG you want to look at. I can easily get 50+MPG on a run without even trying. However the long term MPG is 40.8.

Gra
    2017 Sharan SEL 2.0 TDI-CR, SCR 184 6spd DSG, Atlantic Blue, Palladium Grey Alcantara, Xenon headlights, electric rear doors, rear camera, folding mirrors, Dynaudio sound.