Thread: Vent open/closed decals?

Post Thanks / Like

Vent open/closed decals?

Hello all,

I'm trying to revive the tired interior of a R32 (Mk V).

Part of that process is deciding how to spruce up the centre console.

Whatever I choose to do (respray / wrap) I'm going to need to deal with the vent open/closed decals:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	decals.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	519.9 KB 
ID:	6107

I can't be the first person to run into this problem... so I'm wondering what solutions people have used in the past?

I guess it wouldn't look too bad without, but I'd prefer to recreate the labels, if feasible.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

You car spec says 0.

Can I suggest that you add your car spec to your signature as it will save users asking every time, if you know the engine code that will also be great? Oh you can't do this of a phone. Adding your car spec

Data Sticker/Options Sticker and Engine Codes
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Duly noted! Signature added

Just an FYI - your second link is dead I'm afraid!
    2009 Golf R32

Post Thanks / Like
    I made that thread when I first joined this forum and its always worked. I will have to check why it doesn't work now. I've looked in all threads I've made and it doesn't show. I will make a new one.

Let me start from the beginning. Every VAG vehicle made has an Data sticker with Options codes. One half of this sticker is on the first page of the service schedule the other half will be stuck on the boot floor somewhere near the spare wheel well (depending on the vehicle). Sometimes the engine code is on a sticker on the timing belt cover.

This sticker will show lots of info about that vehicle. This is a Google it sticker so it may not be exactly the same as yours.

If you want to know what all the other PR/Option codes are then type them into VW/Audi/Seat/Škoda Option Codes Decoder. These Option Codes will tell you what was fitted to the vehicle when it came from the factory.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've search the forum for Data Sticker/Options Sticker and change the old link to the now one. I did find the original thread.

Data Sticker/Options Sticker and Engine Codes

I don't know why the old link doesn't show as I've used this for many years and it was made 30/07/12.

This forum is very good but it does have some annoying features.

6. Likes user9 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the additional information - very useful!
    2009 Golf R32

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to follow up on this, in case it helps anyone else.

I stripped off the old soft touch finish with a plastic card, some plastic polish and isopropyl. It comes off very easily (hence the problem in the first place!)

I didn't bother with any primer, and went straight in with 4-5 light coats of PlastiKote Matt Black.

Overall, I'm very happy with the finish. It is fairly close to the original colour (small piece of trim is the original, for comparison).

Name:	IMG_20180802_114939798.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	6112

For the decals, I didn't find a perfect solution. I looked into stencils, transfers and stickers but nothing was going to look particularly good. Getting custom vinyl done was prohibitively expensive IMHO. I also contemplated leaving them off all together, which would have been acceptable too.

What I settled on was some stock 0.25" white vinyl numbers from eBay. I'm considering giving it a spray with PlastiKote Clear Coat Matt to finish it off. Maybe not to everyone's tastes, but it is a simple solution to the problem.

Name:	IMG_20180802_114750234.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	6111

Name:	IMG_20180802_114657923.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	6110
    2009 Golf R32