Thread: Satnav update

Post Thanks / Like

Satnav update

Hi All,

New member so this is my first post.

Before a European road trip i was hoping to update Navigation Pro in my 7.5 Golf.
    Am I correct in saying I have to download from the VW website to my computer and then onto an SD card and then into the car? The download seems to want to take about 5 hours.
    How much card memory do I need?
    Is there an easier way than all this faffing about?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Discover Navigation in my car which stores its maps on a VW supplied SD card. To updated it I have to remove the card from the car and plug it into my PC to update it via the VW website.

The time it takes is dependent on how fast your broadband is.

You have to use the VW-supplied card so you don't have to worry about what size card you need.

I then just plug the card back into the car for the new maps to be usable.

I think the only difference with your Navigation Pro is that the system transfers the maps onto its internal memory rather than reading the SD card all the time.

The only easier way to do this is to buy an update from your friendly VW dealer, but it'll cost you

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    I have the Discover Navigation in my car which stores its maps on a VW supplied SD card. To updated it I have to remove the card from the car and plug it into my PC to update it via the VW website.

The time it takes is dependent on how fast your broadband is.

You have to use the VW-supplied card so you don't have to worry about what size card you need.

I then just plug the card back into the car for the new maps to be usable.

I think the only difference with your Navigation Pro is that the system transfers the maps onto its internal memory rather than reading the SD card all the time.

The only easier way to do this is to buy an update from your friendly VW dealer, but it'll cost you

Chris
    Thanks Chris,

I can see this is going to be interesting. There is no card in my car. Supplying dealer is 200 miles away.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the VW website : https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwi...e-d8d0a4e3c04f there are two possible versions of your satnav in a 2017 Golf.

As my system is different to yours, I think you need to check out which version you have and read its manual. If yours doesn't come with a SD card I would expect them manual to tell you how big a card you need.

Did you buy the car new or second hand?

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a demonstrator. As it works perfectly well with no card I'm guessing it either didn't have one or the dealer removed it. I'm thinking the latter. A trip to the to the local dealership this morning to see what's what.
    2017 Golf R Estate 2.0
    Mrs: 2017 Golf GTI 2.0

Post Thanks / Like
    So my car should have come with an SD card but didn't. Not to worry though because the memory on the original card is not big enough to do the nav pro download anyway!
    New card purchased and the dealer is sorting the update free of charge.
    Incidentally you can buy a pre updated card for 70. Erm I think not......
    2017 Golf R Estate 2.0
    Mrs: 2017 Golf GTI 2.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you got it resolved

Chris