Thread: First Post. Thank you for accepting me as a new member

Post Thanks / Like

First Post. Thank you for accepting me as a new member

Am in a pickle, searched the internet to arrive here

I have a VW C20 TDI 104 caddy van, 07 plate, with 96k on the clock.
    Have had this van from new. Gets serviced regularly
    Have spend nearly 4k on various bits (dual mass flywheel, two CV joints, body bushes etc) and then another K (12 months later) on replacement CV joints (cheap ones fitted for some unknown reason), broken coil spring (how he missed the break that was historic) to now move to another garage

New garage replaced the rear door central locking mechanism, replaced the steering wheel and hand brake which were getting a little tatty

Latest issue is ignition key well not go to accessory position but steering lock disengages. Current mechanic is trying to get new barrel but the VW dealership guy, he tells me, keeps altering the story as to what is needed. Meanwhile i now have to hire a van to get on with my appointments

Under guidance from mechanic (who is a client also- they will make space in the garage if need arises), I stripped and removed the steering lock. Have removed the ignition switch. The key will only turn to withdraw the steering lock bolt- releasing the key allows the bolt to come back up, so key will no turn to position that allows barrel removal. What is the best and quickest way forward to get a replacement ignition barrel

Can you learned folk suggest what is the best way forward to effect a rapid fix (even temporary) to get me moving. Can the lock be drilled out?

Another point i need help on is that the van has 12 year anti-perforation warranty. Front wings paint is blistering. Was referred to Audi paint shop by VW commercial dealership for assessment to be told 5 year warranty (email from VW say 12) . Audi manager does not think the wings will get replaced under warranty. Again your views will be most appreciated.

Thank You
    Last edited by dannyP; 07-08-18 at 09:26.
    07 plate Caddy C20 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyP View Post
    Am in a pickle, searched the internet to arrive here

I have a VW C20 TDI 104 caddy van, 07 plate
    Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own.

I've a bit confused on your car details. You car spec says: 07 plate Caddy C20 1896 Petrol

140PS is 2.0.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 09/2007-08/2010, Model: Caddy, Engine Code: BMM, 103Kw, 140PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD), 8v Timing belt

That will be 1.9 TDI-PD.

The VW corrosion warranty is 12 years. This has been talked about if you search the forum.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Keithuk
    Just goes to show how little I know about what is under the hood
    Plus being 5 thumbs with computers, Admin had to hold my hand to get me on the forum

The van is diesel not petrol as i wrote.

Pressing issue was the ignition key not turning in the barrel.
    It has since been resolved by the mechanic who fitted a new steering lock/ ignition 'cylinder' unit with my original barrel.
    Today the van is running but with the garage awaiting collection.

Will search corrosion warranty

Thank You.

Post Thanks / Like
    Following above kuffufle where the van sat in the street until ignition lock was replaced
    After putting everything back in place, van was started and moved Off street

the van was off the road for about two and a half weeks

The van is alarmed and has central locking
    During above repairs the battery lead was put back on to activate alarm and lock the doors at the end of the session. Battery lead was not secured with spanner.

Today the van van was driven on the road for the first time. It started ok despite the battery lead not tightened with spanner. After about half a mile I pulled over and switched the engine off.
    The van cut out twice when I tried to drive away
    the engine symbol light was now displayed
    Seemed as if van was missing on one cylinder.
    This seemed to go away but engine symbol is still displayed.

Will be calling the garage on Monday for repair or whatever.

What does the symbol suggest.

All the work work on the van has been carried out by various garages apart from the ignition barrel issue which the current mechanic was happy for me to fix myself. He even gave me his discount when I purchased the parts from VW