Thread: Knocking noise when going over rough road.

Post Thanks / Like

Knocking noise when going over rough road.

Hi, I've been lucky enough to get my hands on a 1 owner low milage (26k) 2014 CC GT 2.0 TSI. Since I got it it's been fantastic apart from one little niggle. The car drives great and is quiet and smooth, apart from when I'm driving over rough road. The noise can only be described as a rattling or knocking noise and because it doesn't happen unless I'm driving on rough ground I've sort of ignored it.

Anyway it was having a full dealer service the other week and I mentioned it to them and they said yes they can hear it and it may be a shock on it's way but would need more investigation. On the same service they picked up pitted disks and not much else, no bushes, suspension faults, nothing!

Last night I was out for a drive and ended up on a forest road, tarmacked but lots of loose stones etc and the noise in question was constant, what I did notice however was that if I very lightly pressed the brakes the noise stopped immediately, release the brakes and back it came! So not a shock then, and remember this doesn't happen on tarmac and I'm not always driving on forest roads. So does anyone have any idea what this might be? Something is obviously loose but I can't think what and if it is why wasn't it picked up by the dealer?

One other thing I can't work out is what the PR code is for the rear brakes? I know that the front is 1ZM (it's in the data sticker)and the rear should be 2EA but it's not listed.

TIA
    2014 CC GT 2.0 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    When you say goes away with foot on brake is this hard braking or very lightly? It may be that the slide pins are stuck and the pads are moving about a bit. I'd suspect if the discs are pitted then a good service of the brakes will find a resolve the issue.
    take the wheels off and have a look at the wear on the pads, is it even? Uneven would suggest a sticking calliper.
    2018 Caddy Highline 2.0 TDI Engine: ?yet to be discovered?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi thanks for the reply. Pads are fine and the discs were highlighted as being pitted on the very edge only. I just need to very lightly touch the brake pedal for it to stop. Doing research it sounds like that there is a known issue with the Caliper Carriers and that there is actually a modified part available. Will get into garage and ask them to investigate.