Thread: 2015 Sharan Tyre Wear and Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

2015 Sharan Tyre Wear and Recommendations

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice; have a 2015 Sharan SE 2.0 TDI DSG with the following tyre history (on 215/60 R16):

Continental Conti Premium Contact 2 - 19500 miles
    Michelin Energy Saver Plus - 11400 miles
    Bridgestone Turanza 13000 miles.

My local tyre supplier advised the non-OEM Continentals will not provide anything like 20k miles. Apparently a theory prevails that different compounds are used in the OEM tyres than those available through the tyre channel!!?

Anyhow any recommendations for a good tyre that will last more than 13k miles?

Thanks,
    T

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume your talking front tyres.

At 10K miles the Continentals on my Saran look good for at least another 10K. The theory re different compounds is nonsense, at least in my view anyway.

Gra
    2017 Sharan SEL 2.0 TDI-CR, SCR 184 6spd DSG, Atlantic Blue, Palladium Grey Alcantara, Xenon headlights, electric rear doors, rear camera, folding mirrors, Dynaudio sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GraUK View Post
    I assume your talking front tyres.

At 10K miles the Continentals on my Saran look good for at least another 10K. The theory re different compounds is nonsense, at least in my view anyway.

Gra
    Not front specifically, I rotate the tyres half way through their lifespan.

Yeah maybe the theory re compounds is BS, dunno. Out of curiosity are your Contis the original tyres from new? Or subsequent set? If from new then would align with my wear experience of my original set for about 20k miles.

Might just try another set of Continentals again.

Thanks for reply.
    2015 Sharan SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    On this platform I do not recommend rotating tyres, the rear suspension places very unusual loads on the tyres and they wear in a totally different way to the front. If you get rear tyre inner edge saw tooth wear, we fit Powerflex spring plate inner bushes and have the rear camber set to the high side of its positive tolerance and make sure the rear bump stops are not perished as this causes squat and excessive negative camber change which alters the toe. Nothing will last as long as Michelin, Uniroyal RS3 will give you better value and wet grip. Make sure you specify XL tyres even on top of the heavy MPV rating, they last longer and are significantly better on fuel consumption.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyD View Post
    Not front specifically, I rotate the tyres half way through their lifespan.

Yeah maybe the theory re compounds is BS, dunno. Out of curiosity are your Contis the original tyres from new? Or subsequent set? If from new then would align with my wear experience of my original set for about 20k miles.

Might just try another set of Continentals again.

Thanks for reply.
    They are the original tyres. Looking at them again today the tyres have hardly worn at all after 10k miles, so I would expect 25k, possibly more from the fronts. Backs are still like new. Your tyre ware seems excessive, especially the Michelins which in my experience outlast any other brand.

Gra
    2017 Sharan SEL 2.0 TDI-CR, SCR 184 6spd DSG, Atlantic Blue, Palladium Grey Alcantara, Xenon headlights, electric rear doors, rear camera, folding mirrors, Dynaudio sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    On this platform I do not recommend rotating tyres, the rear suspension places very unusual loads on the tyres and they wear in a totally different way to the front. If you get rear tyre inner edge saw tooth wear, we fit Powerflex spring plate inner bushes and have the rear camber set to the high side of its positive tolerance and make sure the rear bump stops are not perished as this causes squat and excessive negative camber change which alters the toe. Nothing will last as long as Michelin, Uniroyal RS3 will give you better value and wet grip. Make sure you specify XL tyres even on top of the heavy MPV rating, they last longer and are significantly better on fuel consumption.
    Thanks for the XL advice - and yes I expected much more from the Michelins. Haven't experienced the inner wear on the rear tyres, they appear to wear evenly, but yes might be better to not rotate these. Will prices those Uniroyals.

Quote Originally Posted by GraUK View Post
    They are the original tyres. Looking at them again today the tyres have hardly worn at all after 10k miles, so I would expect 25k, possibly more from the fronts. Backs are still like new. Your tyre ware seems excessive, especially the Michelins which in my experience outlast any other brand.
    Gra
    I had Michelins on my own car and the wear was very good. Expected much more from these. But yes it's excessive generally. Not sure if its the roads (poor surfaces) or the driving style of my other half - which to be fair is not particularly aggressive.
    Thanks
    2015 Sharan SE 2.0 TDI-CR, DSG