Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cone air filter and EGR Gasket/leak

Post Thanks / Like

Cone air filter and EGR Gasket/leak

Recently purchased a 2004 Passat 1.9 TDI and the guy previous to me decided to put a cone like air filter on and get rid of the housing....yeah....

So there's no gasket on the EGR, took it off after an oil change for a clean (it was caked in crap) and noticed no gasket. Getting that tomorrow but I need some advice regarding the vacuum on the turbo. Because this guy decided to remove the housing there's a pipe that's a vacuum, a short one, near to where the housing would of been and if you cap it - the engine cuts out lol. Now, there's 2 small hoses connected to the EGR, and whilst the car was running I took them off and capped them and nothing happened, but there was no suction from the either.

I've attached the pictures to the post, maybe someone could brief me on the tubes I've mentioned that are visible in the images, and what they're supposed to do and why the thing's I've mentioned above are happening.

I'm extremely thankful for any help and advice guys, thanks!

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180909_163104.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	6242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180909_163058.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	6241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180909_163038.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	6240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180909_163045.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	6239  

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

K&N filters aren't much use on a TDI. K & N Filter
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Likes Tom_Reyno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol , what a ricer that bloke was , does it sound good ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

K&N filters aren't much use on a TDI. K & N Filter
    I've bought the car with the intention of owning it for a while, and joined a community where I figured that there's experience, insight and some support. I can also offer this to others - once I have some knowledge of my car and issues it has and the way to fix them.

Ordered a gasket for my EGR off VW - 7 - going to the scrap yard tomorrow to try and get a air filter housing box and the place a normal filter in there.

@Gazwould - no. Nooooo lol, its loud. But...that's down to the little vacuum hose that's just basically sat in the engine unattached to anything. That and the EGR leak - probably all adds to the racket.
    2004 Passat 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to see if the EGR solenoid is still there, it is on the engines left behind the oil filter.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    You need to see if the EGR solenoid is still there, it is on the engines left behind the oil filter.
    The oil filter is on the right, the fuel filter is directly behind it I believe?

The car, if left not running for a while, shudders quite violently when its started up. Not constantly - every 6/12 seconds and it'll rumble and lose power for around 5 seconds. This must be an injector, maybe a poor line in the fuel filter? More than likely something to do with the air....but once its ran a while its fine.
    2004 Passat 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    No, the fuel and oil filter are on the engines left just as the steering wheel is on the cars right, the protocol is that all component handing is specified from sitting in the car looking forwards.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, thing's just went from bad to worse.

I got my rubber ring for the EGR (gasket), replaced the old one - turbo isn't coming in. Everything was tightened up, nothing left undone, I took it all apart and put the old gasket back thinking somehow this was the issue.....turbo came back briefly then went again. I'm really baffled and I dunno, frustrated.

I really need some help, there's a minor fluid leak as well, looked online and a lot of people attribute this to the MAF and the EGR cooler getting clogged. Where is the EGR cooler and how tough is it to remove?

Any help is hugely appreciated
    2004 Passat 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    The Air Mass Meter (AKA MAF) cannot be involved in a fluid leak, it measures air flow. What type of fluid is leaking?

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey @Crasher, thanks for replying again.

I semi-sorted my EGR issues. I think the inlet manifold needs removing and soaking in petrol (remove the dirt) as well as my EGR valve. Gonna do that the upcoming weekend.

It appears to be coolant. Its directly underneath the engine, close to the front. Its coming from between (or possibly above somewhere) to metal units joined, so it could be a gasket. Need a Haynes manual tbf, so I could give you an actual idea of where it is.
    2004 Passat 1.9 TDI-PD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast