Thread: Formatted the VW maps SD card

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Formatted the VW maps SD card

Hi everyone, I've managed to format the VW maps SD card that came with the car whilst trying to update it using the discover care app. I'm wondering if it is possible to restore the data on the card from somewhere on the internet (i do not have a backup) or can anyone please tell me what I need to do next? Thanks.

-- VW Touran 2016, Discover Pro Navigation system, 2.0 TDi

Post Thanks / Like
    The security codes on the SD card normally seem to be in a hidden part of the card - so try just loading the new map data via Discover Care, and then install the maps as usual.

If the card is really unusable then I suspect your only option is to buy a replacement at your friendly dealer
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi CJJE, thanks for the reply. The local dealer confirmed that the security code or card identifier is still intact and that I upload the maps onto the SD card. Thing is, the maps after unzipping are in two folders, MIB1 and MIB2 and exceed 20GB whilst the VW SD card is 15GB. Ill try and see what happens if I upload just one of the above two folders.

I feel like a right noob to have formatted the card without backing it up first.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect that you have the choice of either loading Eastern Europe maps or Western Europe maps then, depending on where you will be driving?

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Golf 4 GT TDI 3 Door from 11/1998 to 3/2006.
    Polo 4 Twist 1.2 3 Door from 12/2003 to 4/2009.
    Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI from 3/2006 to 12/2011.
    Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG from 12/2011 to 2/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

You can try FAT32 as used on flash drives as NTFS won't work.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops my bad, Can I do this now?
    2016 Touran 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all thus far Chris, I've reached out to the local VW team and cited that the downloaded maps file exceeds the capacity of the card. Let's see what they come back with.
    2016 Touran 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by plaknas View Post
    Oops my bad, Can I do this now?
    Can you do what, format the SD card FAT32 now you've made an intro?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.