Thread: Both dipped beams not working

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Both dipped beams not working

Hello folks - not sure what to do next on this. It's a 1972 Beetle 1300. Last week, both dipped beams failed during driving. I tried full beam and noticed that they only operate with the column stalk pressed and held towards driver. The moment you release, full beams become inoperative. So far I have-tried new bulbs that I know work properly in another car on the same day, cleaned #3/4/5/6 fuses at the contacts (and the fuses appear to be good and not broken), reinserted fuses, cleaned connectors to fuse box for 3,4,5,6, fitted new Relay. Sidelights work in response to the pull light switch.The pull light switch allows you to pull it to headlamp position. Car electrics are not my strongest point. I have a voltage tester but need a bit of detail on use for this issue if relevant/ necessary.If anyone has experience of this problem I would welcome your comments or suggestions. Thanks for reading.Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    As no one has replied I will ask myself...if the headlamp dimmer switch is not faulty would it likely be a bad connection in yellow black wire between switch and fuse terminal?

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

I can't say how the wiring or fuses are without I search ElsaWin.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I missed this, sorry. Your headlight relay is not latching by the description.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for your comment,Crasher.If I assume the brand new relay fitted is in good working order do you by "latching" mean not being triggered?.If so,does this mean no power further up the line to energize it? Where should I be testing for continuity/volts?And,does this explain why the full beam won't stay on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Think it's time I said my piece here. Firstly I don't really understand admin comment "First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!". Does that kind of mean there's an initiation procedure ?! First , I didn't realise one had to go to Introductions first. This seems to be a common issue so it ain't just me. Wonder why many newbies have to be prompted...Secondly, why would you never see me again and what is meant by "freebie" ? I've actually posted constructive narrative to this issue and actually by doing so it could help other members when they get the same problem. I thought the idea of forums is to share information whichever direction it travels? So now to continue because now I am really foxed and maybe someone out there has been there already with this. New Relay already fitted. Bulbs are good. Now, new headlight switch fitted.Oh yes and the old switch had a terminal 57 wire going through to Fuse number Two. I learn now that apparently terminal 57 became redundant after 1967 and now terminal 58 controls side and tails. This is according to the V5 a 1972 car so there are numerous possibilities- wrong part fitted by factory, previous owner etc ...but back to topic-power must be coming through to Terminal 30 because the Full Beam Flasher stalk goes to terminal S on the relay and when pulling stalk the relay is clicking telling me the electro magnet is energising? I have checked fuse continuity on the LH and RH dipped beams and continuity between fuse box and Terminal 56 Dipped Beam wire (that then goes to Terminal 56 on Switch). Side/Tail/Number plate all working fine. Have also checked for continuity the wires between fuses and headlamps (yellow/black and yellow) Not sure what to look at next. Could a faulty flasher/indicator stalk switch could be causing non latching of relay? Any suggestions please?
    1972 Beetle 1300

7. Likes lemta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a simple latching changeover relay with an earthed case if my memory is good so make sure it is earthed but I have not worked on Type 1 electrics for a few years. The part number for the relay is 111 941 583.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your comment, Crasher, I will check it out.
    1972 Beetle 1300

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm at a bit of a dead end now. A second relay has now been fitted to replace the 1st new one that was purchased. I think the original relay was THE original.The relays do not have a separate earth but as I understand it, the S and 56 terminals in effect go to earth as they are on circuits that are made by the earth, hope this sounds logical rather than crazy.What on earth (excuse the pun) can this be, I've tried everything it seems. But obviously, not. I also checked the wiring that connects fuse box to headlamp bulbs for continuity.
    Clearly it is solvable. I must have missed something. Let's assume its lack of current rather than a break. Where should I be testing for 12v and in what order? Please feel free to pitch in.....
    1972 Beetle 1300

Post Thanks / Like
    Solution found which I will share with others. An auto electrician with an interest in all things classic, was summoned. Just prior to this, the indicators also stopped working and the generator warning light came on permanently. After some intense examination, he isolated the problem to the fuse box. A previous owner had painted the contact plates of the fuse box to match the interior of the car. The plates were gently abrased and new fuses were fitted.This resolved all issues.The moral here I think is to expect the unexpected. I had checked the fuses themselves but not the integrity of current passing through the fuse box plates.
    1972 Beetle 1300