Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stop Start When Towing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
    Sorry Sam&Anne, you're still not making sense.
    I don't know why I am responding to your opinions, for that is all they are.
    Maybe you have my driving and auto engineering experience - and maybe you haven’t.

Perhaps it would be an idea to Google caravan clubs if you are not already a member.
    I can't be bothered going through the many comments on the various sites for you but if you had time you might glean some information.

However I have seen comments from those who find reversing so difficult that the constant stop / start nuisance as they try to concentrate on avoiding a solid object like a tree, concrete post or a bull would put this into the "irritation" category.

Other comments refer to the need to accelerate smartly, or as smartly as possible because of the extra weight, into traffic flow without the delay however brief of the engine restarting. This IMO would put it into the "dangerous" category.

Quite a few caravanners are agreeing that they disable this device when towing as they find it too distracting for many manoeuvres and perhaps when concentration is priority the word dangerous could be used.

Perhaps you are an expert in all things caravanning so I will leave you to continue to be at odds with so many who disagree with your thinking. I care not a jot.

There have been many unfavourable comments about this annoying novelty on many forums including this one and we are fortunate here to have a proper expert who has regularly voiced critical comments about the use of this feature, if feature is the word I am looking for.

Try post number 9 for a start. Read what he says and learn.

As for me, I stick to what I have said and I will continue to disable this IMO abomination.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Anne View Post
    I don't know why I am responding to your opinions, for that is all they are.
    Maybe you have my driving and auto engineering experience - and maybe you haven’t.

Perhaps it would be an idea to Google caravan clubs if you are not already a member.
    I can't be bothered going through the many comments on the various sites for you but if you had time you might glean some information.

However I have seen comments from those who find reversing so difficult that the constant stop / start nuisance as they try to concentrate on avoiding a solid object like a tree, concrete post or a bull would put this into the "irritation" category.

Other comments refer to the need to accelerate smartly, or as smartly as possible because of the extra weight, into traffic flow without the delay however brief of the engine restarting. This IMO would put it into the "dangerous" category.

Quite a few caravanners are agreeing that they disable this device when towing as they find it too distracting for many manoeuvres and perhaps when concentration is priority the word dangerous could be used.

Perhaps you are an expert in all things caravanning so I will leave you to continue to be at odds with so many who disagree with your thinking. I care not a jot.

There have been many unfavourable comments about this annoying novelty on many forums including this one and we are fortunate here to have a proper expert who has regularly voiced critical comments about the use of this feature, if feature is the word I am looking for.

Try post number 9 for a start. Read what he says and learn.

As for me, I stick to what I have said and I will continue to disable this IMO abomination.
    Wow, if that's not an opinionated answer, I don't know what is.

I don't think that I've offered any opinions. I've asked a question, asked for clarification, and given an explanation, whereas you seem unable to accept that someone else's view is different to yours.

Anyway, since being on here, I've also been in touch the the Tech Advice section of the Caravan and Motorhome Club. They'd never heard of this restriction and could see no reason why it should be switched off for towing.

I think I will end this here.
    2014 Passat Estate 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    "I don't think that I've offered any opinions".
    Yes you opined that I was still not making sense. You offered an opinion as to how the stop/start system works. We all know how it works - and how to switch it off.
    You offered an opinion to Mr Softee suggesting his answer made even less sense than the VW answer.

You did ask a question and several people offered views which is what happens on forums. Some are different indeed and it is up to members to accept whichever they feel appropriate to their question and ignore the rest, mine included.

There are quite a few experts on here, I am certainly not one but you would do well to listen to those who are.

"Anyway, since being on here, I've also been in touch the the Tech Advice section of the Caravan and Motorhome Club. They'd never heard of this restriction and could see no reason why it should be switched off for towing".
    Which is in contradiction to many comments and opinions on caravan forums and apparently advice from VW.

"I think I will end this here".
    Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by Sam&Anne; 06-12-18 at 01:31.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop start , hmmmmmmm.

On my other car the auxiliary battery in the boot isn't 100% so Stop Start isn't available and I don't have to switch it off every time I start the car , yippee .

People are crying out to have it disabled and it's disabled itself

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it very distracting, on the odd occasion I am on foot crossing a road it can make me jump when the starter bangs in as the BMW waiting at the lights gets ready to do a Grand Prix start. The other point I hate is that keeping your foot on the brake blinds the driver behind, I always go into neutral and put the handbrake on so saving the person behind from night blindness, this includes when I am driving a slush box. With modern body controllers, manufactures could easily introduce a stationary brake light dimming function, taking them down to tail light brightness.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

6. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12