Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop Start When Towing

Post Thanks / Like

Stop Start When Towing

I have a 2014 Passat Estate 2.0 TDI that I tow a caravan with. The manual says that the stop/start should be off when towing, but doesn't say why.

I contacted VW for more explanation, and all they said was it's due to the extra weight and load that the vehicle is pulling. That doesn't make sense to me as the vehicle is stationary when the stop/start is working, so the extra weight and load makes no difference.

Can anyone explain further?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    So no one can shed any light on this?
    2014 Passat Estate 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

The stop/start is a pain in the backside its been talked about many times if you search the forum.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

4. Thanks Sam&Anne, MightyGem thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
    So no one can shed any light on this?
    May I suggest that you abandon the desire / obsession for a possible, maybe, perhaps extra 2 mpg and switch the system off.
    By doing so you will be instantly kinder on many of your car's components, your wallet and the wallet of any future owners.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions
    Sorry, I wasn't aware of that.

The stop/start is a pain in the backside its been talked about many times if you search the forum.
    Yes, I know. My search came up with 29 results, none of which addressed the question of why it should be turned off when towing, hence my post.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that while it is normally irritating and detracting, if you were towing another vehicle it would be downright dangerous, and even the idiots in charge of the asylum have had to give in to common sense.
    2013 Passat B7 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that while it is normally irritating and detracting, if you were towing another vehicle it would be downright dangerous, and even the idiots in charge of the asylum have had to give in to common sense.
    Sorry, but that makes even less sense than VW's answer.

Why would it be dangerous?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
    Sorry, but that makes even less sense than VW's answer.

Why would it be dangerous?
    In a past life I have towed a lot of wheels from caravans right up to fully loaded 40 foot trailers. The last thing I would want while in control on a public road is for an engine to cut out and restart at a crucial time and possibly upset or reduce my control.
    May I refer you back to my post number 4 and possibly add a sentence to it - "and to enable a driver to always have full control of the vehicle at all times and in all situations".
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop start should be turned off full stop, it causes accelerated starter motor and ring gear wear/failure and stresses the battery BUT as a garage owner I love stop start, it is a good money earner for me especially as modern VAG cars are extraordinarily sensitive to poor battery performance, drop a volt and all hell brakes lose, Christmas tree dashboard....
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

11. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Sam&Anne, you're still not making sense.

The last thing I would want while in control on a public road is for an engine to cut out and restart at a crucial time and possibly upset or reduce my control.
    Stop/Start doesn't operate until the vehicle is stationary and(in my auto VW) with my foot firmly on the brake pedal. In a manual you have to be in neutral with handbrake on and foot off the clutch pedal.

and to enable a driver to always have full control of the vehicle at all times and in all situations
    I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast