Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vw golf 1.6 16v 2003 epc light?

Post Thanks / Like

Vw golf 1.6 16v 2003 epc light?

Hello everyone.

I have tried to search for topics on this but not coming up with anything at all.

I love my golf and owned it for 1 year now.

Tonight driving home my epc light has come on .

I've googled it and read what the reason for it is and some places say it could be a brake light switch.

There is no lack in performance from the engine at all.

No cutting out or juddering.

Anyone else had this problem and know any ideas to fixing it with out taking it to a dealer.

I have a streetwise diagnostic system but I don't know if that will tell me the fault or not as the manual doesn't say anything sbout the doc light.

So I've come to more knowledgeable people

Thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolky85 View Post
    I have a streetwise diagnostic system but I don't know if that will tell me the fault or not as the manual doesn't say anything sbout the doc light.
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

You car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post.

streetwise diagnostic system not VAG-COM\VCDS?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

You car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post.

streetwise diagnostic system not VAG-COM\VCDS?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    Thank you for replying to my message I do apologise for not posting in introduction first as I am new to this forum stuff. I will get the car scanned hopefully today or tomorrow and report back
    2003 Golf 1.6 16v

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the brake lights working as normal? That may be all the diagnostics you need. If they aren't working and bulbs are OK, it's probably the brake light switch.
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried a garage today they were too busy. But I've noticed thst the brake lights are constantly on . Even right now when the keys are not in the ignition.

So I am thinking it may well be the brake switch.

But with out getting the code read I'm not 100% sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    100% brake light switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you unplug the connector from the switch it'll stop your battery flattening overnight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful. Thank you so much for your help. Will 've doing this tonight. Thank u so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Changed the part to the new 1 . All fitted. But the brakes ain't working when the pedal is pressed and the top lights which I believe to be the hand brake lights won't go off. Same when the key is removed the lights stay on. But the epc light is now off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you fit the switch with the pedal pushed down or in the off position?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast