Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is DPF regenerating?

Post Thanks / Like

Is DPF regenerating?

Hi,

I own a 2016 Passat B8 2.0 TDI. How do I know when DPF is regenerating? Sometimes I see the motor is running in idle 1000RPM + the cooling fans are loudly blowing. Unfortunately there is no feedback on the instruments. Today I made a 80km run and on the end I realised that the motor is running on higher 1000RPM. It happened on the past week too, but then I drove in the town, then I did a 80km run.

How often it should be regenerate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Typical signs of normal regeneration, as to when and how often varies according to driving style.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Likes madrian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, can we know how long does the regen process take to finish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Impossible to say even when sitting there with the laptop showing the maximum twelve measuring blocks of data, when doing a forced regen with the VAG system ODIS it operates on what I have heard called Windows time, it’s a bit like Greek time when I have been on holiday.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,bit late on this thread but I had symptoms with my 2015 Passat 1.6 Tdi BM. Random failure of stop start, random cooling fans in meltdown. High fuel consumption and high idle rpm at random. I fully serviced the car yesterday and the DPF warning came on for first time. Since November the car has been mostly on very short cold runs so I tried a 2-3k rpm run in 3rd gear. Took about 12 mins for DPF icon to go off from normal temp.. Then I did a further 60 miles at speed to make sure. Got home, no wild fans running. Iíve never run a vcds scan on that car so I did that as well for good measure. Cleared a few old fault codes and rescanned, all clear now.
    So in conclusion, they just donít like cold runs.

Post Thanks / Like
    madrian - First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

VAG-COM\VCDS will tell you how many time its done a DPF regen with the values shown.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

8. Likes goe555 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crikey Keith, you're slipping mate. You're over four months late in yelling at madrian!
    Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Pete but someone added to his thread.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I was late. I just thought my info might be useful because, surprisingly, the active regen worked( for now)��
    2015 Passat Estate Engine????
    2011 Touran SE 1.6 TDI-CR
    Daughters: 2012 Fox
    2014 Mk5 Polo

Post Thanks / Like
    DPF diesels are not suited to repeated short runs, they need regular minimum 30 minute runs at full operating temperature. As to regen frequency I monitored my DPF with VCDS over 18 months, and kept a record of the journeys. The only conclusion I could make was that the DPF will regen at least twice per tank of fuel when the majority of journeys were over an hour on 60 mph roads. The distance between regens varied between 200 miles and 350 miles for what appeared to be very similar journeys, so very hard to form anything other than a rough conclusion.

I am of the opinion that the results were tending to show that the period between regens was getting shorter towards the end of the 18 month period which covered 22k miles of use.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver. ( I was previously posting as thamestrader)

13. Thanks oktember thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast