Thread: Mk3 2ltr convertible cuts out

Post Thanks / Like

Mk3 2ltr convertible cuts out

I would be most greatful for any advice I spoke to my garage who has the car today and they donít know! So basically she starts and runs but as soon as the oil temp reaches 64 degrees she cuts out and wonít start again until she has cooled off a bit and then we just go round in a circle, the garage say the code coming up is cam shaft sensor, which I think is also hall sensor I suspect they may have run the diagnostic while the car wasnít running as I believe that is code 515 which will always come up if the engine isnít running, they have deduced that something is telling the ecu to cut the fuel at this temp, however from there they seem to not know where to start please can anyone help me!!!! Desperate to get her sorted
    thanks in advance Claire
    1997 Golf Cabriolet 2.0, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    This will been an ADY or AGG engine but they are both the same apart from a different cam and map. These engines will start and run with the camshaft engine position hall sender unplugged, what causes your symptom in the vast majority of cases is a failing crankshaft speed sender. If there is a problem with the cam sensor, the only sign you will get is the engine will not rev beyond approx 5k rpm.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire11 View Post
    I believe that is code 515
    Claire when you post error codes you should always post the full code along with the fault not just numbers and also says which scanner gave these codes.

I have 4 different faults for 00515 here is one.

VAG Error Code: 00515

Fault Location:
    Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) - No Signal

Possible Cause:
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Check/Replace Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40).
    Check/Replace Engine Control Module (ECM).

Special Notes:
    Some older engines store this code as long as the engine is not running, if in doubt read fault codes with the engine running again.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

I see you've added 2.0 to your car spec.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 10/1994-12/1995, Model: Golf Cabriolet, Engine Code: ADY, 85Kw, 115PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 03/1998-04/2000, Model: Golf Cabriolet, Engine Code: AGG, 85Kw, 115PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/1997-02/1998, Model: Golf Cabriolet, Engine Code: AKR, 85Kw, 115PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 08/1996-09/1998, Model: Golf Cabriolet, Engine Code: ADC, 85Kw, 115PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses, just spoken to the garage they are going to run the diagnostic again with engine running, the crank shaft sensor has been changed, and it will rev above 5krpm
    1997 Golf Cabriolet 2.0, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    In that case the fault code is not important, if it cuts out with a new crank sensor then fit a new ECU power relay, VAG part number 165 906 381 (yes that was from memory) and take it from there. You can (and should) still buy these from VW dealers or TPS for £21.65. These are located under the dash on the drivers side behind the cover above the drivers right shin and at position 3 on the plate, so main relay plate upper row above the fuses second from the left with number 30 printed on top, not the supplementary rows above.

m

If the one in there now has a black case and is made in Malaysia or the Philippines, this is likely to be your problem.

2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: