Thread: G40 camshaft sensor replacement advice

Post Thanks / Like

G40 camshaft sensor replacement advice

Hi All

New to this forum but have been on many other car forums.

I have a 2009 Touran (1T) 2.0 TDI 170PS so I think this is a BMN engine, correct me if I am wrong, its now covered 178K and has been a good car, I have just started getting a few issues and have been scanning more often, the main issue I am having is DPF filter, normally this will clear on its own, my wife gets stuck in quite a bit of traffic and it still has the original exhaust/DPF fitted, I can force the regen using my VCDS and run up the M40 and it clears but it is becoming more frequent.

For a while now, I have been getting the 012296 Camshaft position sensor G40 P3008 - 007 signal out of range intermittent, Looking at the web, I am finding some conflicting messages, can I change the sensor without removing the timing belt? also from what I can see looking on the parts websites, some sensors are just the sensor attached to a wire and connector, others are mounted on a plate, which would fitted to my engine?

When I scanned it the last time, it was because the car went into limp mode after trying to pull away quite fast (I had been on a run without stopping for about 80 miles) I stopped at traffic lights and then tried to pull away fast and the car went straight into limp mode, this has not happened since and we have done another 700 miles since then (although I dont think we have tried to pull away fast like that since then).

When I scanned it that day I also got 000665 Boost pressure regulation P0299 - 006 control range not reach - intermittent, the above code were the only codes present at this time (nothing to do with the DPF).

So the secondary questions are, is the DPF causing any of these, or is the G40 causing the DPF to happen more often, or a combination, is the boost pressure likely to be another issue?

My plan of attack is, replace just the sensor if I can, if not replace the timing belt and associated stuff and also replace the sensor at the same time.

Depending on what you guys come back with on here.

I have read that a DPF is only good for 120K mine has going on well, but should I just take it that its done its service and change it too or have others got them running further than this? I have been looking around and found one for about £350 (not fitted) are DPF all pretty much ok or are there cheap rubbish out there that will just cause me more issues in the future.

Thanks in advance, if I have missed any information, sorry, I will add when I have been made aware, it hard to remember everything when posting.

Darren

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Its late so I can't be bothered to look up those error codes.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 12/2005-05/2010, Model: Touran, Engine Code: BMN, 125Kw, 170PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD), 16v Timing belt
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hallo, now, one after the other...

Quote Originally Posted by Tourandaz View Post
    ... have a 2009 Touran (1T) 2.0 TDI 170PS so I think this is a BMN engine, correct me if I am wrong, its now covered 178K and has been a good car, I have just started getting a few issues and have been scanning more often, the main issue I am having is DPF filter, normally this will clear on its own, my wife gets stuck in quite a bit of traffic and it still has the original exhaust/DPF fitted, I can force the regen using my VCDS and run up the M40 and it clears but it is becoming more frequent....
    Witch issue will clear on its own? Fault code?

...for a while now, I have been getting the 012296 Camshaft position sensor G40 P3008 - 007 signal out of range intermittent, Looking at the web, I am finding some conflicting messages, can I change the sensor without removing the timing belt? also from what I can see looking on the parts websites, some sensors are just the sensor attached to a wire and connector, others are mounted on a plate, which would fitted to my engine?...
    Yes I mean, on a 2.0 tdi it was a little tricky but worked. get the timing belt cover down, disconnect the cable plug for the G40, cover the timing belt from any scratching.
    Open the hole in the back cover with screw driver getting the sensor through.

...when I scanned it the last time, it was because the car went into limp mode after trying to pull away quite fast (I had been on a run without stopping for about 80 miles) I stopped at traffic lights and then tried to pull away fast and the car went straight into limp mode, this has not happened since and we have done another 700 miles since then (although I dont think we have tried to pull away fast like that since then)....
    I would say you need to adjust the timing or change the timing belt and idler pulley. 178K? It´s the first belt?

012296 Camshaft position sensor G40 P3008 - 007
    000665 Boost pressure regulation P0299
    This 2 codes you had together in the ECU after LIMP Mode @ the traffic lights? Without any DPF code?
    If yes, the LIMP nothing had to do with the DPF.
    Go reading the real time data for Turbocharger, Boost pressure and Cam/Crankshaft interaction.
    Last edited by damug; 28-11-18 at 20:27.
    1st. 2012 Crafter 2.0 TDI-CR, CKTC - 2EH1H5 - 500tkm - Belt - Additional Air-conditioning system
    2. Passat 3C 2.0 TDI, 3. Renault Master2, 4.Opel Movano B, 5. Fiat Ducato x250, 6. Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI, 7. Skoda Roomster