Thread: 2017 Golf 1.4 TSI DSG judder and burning smell

Post Thanks / Like

2017 Golf 1.4 TSI DSG judder and burning smell

Hello everybody, I've been lurking in the background for a few months, but could really do with some advice on my 2017 Golf 1.4 TSI DSG with 7000 miles which Iíve owned since April without issues.
    Iíve searched the forum but can only find info on the pre recall boxes
    The issue started yesterday morning when I was caught in traffic on the A1 that was crawling along. As the car was pulling away from standstill in 1st gear there was a judder/shudder which happened again as it changed into 2nd. This sequence happened several times until the traffic cleared and i was on my way. A while later I pulled out to let a HGV out of a slip road so dropped a gear to pass but the engine seemed to ''over rev' the car moved perfectly okay but a burning smell followed - brake / clutch lining type of smell (would a slipping clutch in a DSG smell like this?) passed the HGV and the smell disappeared only to reappear a short distance down the road whilst accelerating up a hill.
    The car is booked in next Thursday for investigation despite the dealer saying they haven't had issues with the DSG boxes.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that a 6 speed or 7 speed DSG?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a 7 speed.
    2017 Golf SE Nav 1.4 TSI DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Campaigns as this synthetic gear oil causes damage to the internal electronics

New to Golf 1.6Tdi Dsg 2010 on 17k miles. DSG QUESTIONS
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    As an owner of the same car same year with 11k trouble free miles I would be very interested to hear the outcome of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had something similar on my 2016 Golf. The 7 speed dsg is a dry unit.
    In heavy traffic there was a clutchy smell and occasional short squeal as clutches engaged and box changed up and down through the low gears. It took a few visits to dealership but it gradually worsened resulting in replacement of clutch packs under warranty. The fault was completely cured and so far has given 20k plus miles faultlessly.
    2016 Golf R-Line Edition 1.4 TSI 150 ACT BMT. Urano Grey. Pan Roof. Rear View Camera. Winter Pack. Car-Net. Serron Alloys.
    2014 Polo SE 1.2 90ps TSI​ Flame Red. Sat Nav.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update....car has been to dealer all day, been road tested and yes..you've guessed it.............unable to find fault.
    At least its been checked, scanned for faults and logged on the system incase of future episodes. It's also a lot cleaner than it was when it was dropped off. Will just have to keep an eye on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    As you may know the DSG is a manual gearbox with normal friction clutches so in stop/start crawling traffic it is possible to re-create the same burning clutch smell as with a manual gearbox. If I might make a suggestion - when in slow-moving traffic queues check how much pressure you are using on the footbrake pedal. The DSG electronics sense the amount of footbrake pedal pressure to decide when to start engaging the clutches. So in the right (or wrong) circumstances its possible with light brake pedal pressure to be stationary but the clutches are partially engaged and thus slipping and burning. Maintaining a hard press on the footbrake should completely disengage the clutches.
    With both our DSG cars I tend to slip the gearbox into N when stationary in traffic, I have no technical information as to whether this is a good or bad thing, but I feel it avoids any possibility of overheating the clutches.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver. ( I was previously posting as thamestrader)

9. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pleased no faults were found.In traffic I use P if standing still for any length of time.Not sure if this is right either.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Touranasaurus and @Geordie33 - thanks for your advice guys, but this is the strange thing, I've always pressed the brake pedal hard enough to activate the "Auto Hold" brake which according to various internet searches and postings on other forums (especially briskoda - my wife has an Octavia DSG, which I've driven a lot without any problems) is supposed to completely disengage the clutches, which the car seems to be doing as the engine revs rise after the car stops and I would expect the revs to drop if the car was pulling against the brake, but then again i may be wrong (it has been known ��). All I can do now, is keep an eye on it and hope it was just "having an off day" but its been looked at by the dealer and a report on the system has been created. Thanks again for your help and advice, I'll be back in touch if it happens again.