Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polo EGR valve...replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Polo EGR valve...replacement

I have just replaced the engine on my son`s 2002 Polo 1.2S (petrol). The engine fitted has the same code (AZQ) as the original, but the new engine has no "hole" where the EGR valve is mounted, so gets no exhaust gas to it ? This causes the EML to come on after a few trips. The fault code reads as "P0401" (exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected). Has anyone come across this before ? I am hoping there is a way around the problem without going to the expense of a "re-map", ie. EGR delete ? Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Many thanks, Trev Stafford

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

VAG Error Code: 16785/001025/4807/7337
    EOBD II Error Code: P0401

Fault Location:
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System - Insufficient Flow Detected

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Reduced Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR).
    Reduced Power Output/Engine running rough.
    Increased Emissions.

Wiring/Connector(s).
    Hose leak/blockage.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow restricted/clogged.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve stuck closed/leaking/faulty.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Check/Clean Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System.
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve.
    Control deviation < limit from map f (engine speed, desired airflow).

Special Notes:
    When this fault is stored in a 2009-2012 North American Region (NAR) market 2.0L CR TDI (CBEA, CJAA, CKRA) VW Jetta/Golf (1K/AJ) or the NMS Passat (A3) chassis:
    Please see: Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 26-13-03 | Technical Product Information (TPI) #2031583/3 (formerly know as 26-12-08 | Technical Product Information (TPI) #2031583). When the Exhaust Valve Control Module (J883) is faulty, the engine controller may have any of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
    P046F, P0477, P048A, P048B, P048C, P0401.
    Some TDI-CR engines have a filter for the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) that can become restricted and cause a "Insufficient Flow" code.

When this fault is stored in a 2009-2014 North American Region (NAR) market 2.0L CR TDI (CBEA or CJAA ) VW Jetta/Golf (1K/AJ).
    Please See Technical Product Information (TPI) 01 14 11 | #2034898
    May also have fault code stored in Engine Control Module (ECM).
    009315/P2463/009315 - Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) - Excessive Soot Accumulation.
    Restrictions in the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Filter may occur after a regeneration, if the soot loads where high before the regeneration.

Tech Notes:
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) flow malfunction could be caused by a clogged Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) tube. Before replacing any parts try cleaning the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve, tube and passages.

When is the code detected?:
    Restrictions in the EGR Filter may occur after a regeneration, if the soot loads where high before the regeneration.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Post moved to correct section as OP can't read sub forum titles.

You don't say were you live as EGR delete is Banned subjects
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to ignore Keith's unfriendly sounding post.
    Obviously, there's no need for a de-code of the fault code or extensive diagnostic tips cribbed from other sources, as you know very well the root cause of the fault light.

As far as I'm aware, all AZQ engines had EGR, but the updated BME code replacement dropped EGR at some point in its lifecycle. I wonder if you have a BME masquerading as an AZQ? I think that might be it.

One solution may be to acquire an ECU appropriate for the non-EGR version of BME engine, and get the immobiliser re-programmed to suit the car.
    I'm not sure how straightforward that is, but may be easier than trying to remap the existing ECU, not sure.

Judging by the numbers on this page, EGR was dropped on BME's from MY2006, chassis numbers after 9N-6-210 000. I guess your replacement 'AZQ' came from such a car?

As the manufacturer deleted the EGR on this engine, I personally don't see it should be in the 'banned subject' territory.
    Last edited by Pete1; 01-12-18 at 09:40.
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

VAG Error Code: 16785/001025/4807/7337
    EOBD II Error Code: P0401

Fault Location:
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System - Insufficient Flow Detected

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Reduced Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR).
    Reduced Power Output/Engine running rough.
    Increased Emissions.

Wiring/Connector(s).
    Hose leak/blockage.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow restricted/clogged.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve stuck closed/leaking/faulty.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Check/Clean Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System.
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve.
    Control deviation < limit from map f (engine speed, desired airflow).

Special Notes:
    When this fault is stored in a 2009-2012 North American Region (NAR) market 2.0L CR TDI (CBEA, CJAA, CKRA) VW Jetta/Golf (1K/AJ) or the NMS Passat (A3) chassis:
    Please see: Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 26-13-03 | Technical Product Information (TPI) #2031583/3 (formerly know as 26-12-08 | Technical Product Information (TPI) #2031583). When the Exhaust Valve Control Module (J883) is faulty, the engine controller may have any of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
    P046F, P0477, P048A, P048B, P048C, P0401.
    Some TDI-CR engines have a filter for the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) that can become restricted and cause a "Insufficient Flow" code.

When this fault is stored in a 2009-2014 North American Region (NAR) market 2.0L CR TDI (CBEA or CJAA ) VW Jetta/Golf (1K/AJ).
    Please See Technical Product Information (TPI) 01 14 11 | #2034898
    May also have fault code stored in Engine Control Module (ECM).
    009315/P2463/009315 - Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) - Excessive Soot Accumulation.
    Restrictions in the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Filter may occur after a regeneration, if the soot loads where high before the regeneration.

Tech Notes:
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) flow malfunction could be caused by a clogged Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) tube. Before replacing any parts try cleaning the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve, tube and passages.

When is the code detected?:
    Restrictions in the EGR Filter may occur after a regeneration, if the soot loads where high before the regeneration.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Post moved to correct section as OP can't read sub forum titles.

You don't say were you live as EGR delete is Banned subjects
    Sorry if I put this in the wrong section, Keith.
    I wasn`t aware that I`d done that.
    Thank you for your comprehensive reply, but I am assuming that the problem is because there is "no" exhaust gas reaching the EGR valve because the drilling that would let the gasses through simply isn`t there ? I`m not trying to do anything against the law at all, as the replacement engine didn`t have an EGR valve anyway.
    I live in Capel-le-Ferne, near Folkestone, Kent, by the way......
    Best regards
    Trev
    Son: 2002 Polo 1.2, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Pete.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I`m pretty sure the engine we`ve fitted is an "AZQ", but the supplier said it might have been from a Seat rather than a VW ?
    Yes, I`d thought about fitting an ECU from a car that didn`t have an EGR valve too, but, as you say, I`d then probabably have to get the immobiliser, etc, re-coded, which I`m presuming wouldn`t be a particularly cheap job.
    The problem is that it`s my son`s first car + he needs it to get to his job (he`s actually a "junior" mechanic at a Renault garage !...ha! ha! ).
    Obviously, he`s quite short of funds, so I was hoping to try to help him out with some sort of sensor by-pass or wiring modification that wasn`t going to cost him a load of cash.
    He`s only just paid out for the replacement engine, after all.
    I really appreciate your reply, though.
    Thanks again.
    Trev
    (and I agree that it shouldbn`t be a "banned" subject if the "new" motor isn`t supposed to have an EGR valve anyway....)

Post Thanks / Like
    Must be that time of year again.. bah humbug .

Oh no wait , it's all year round .

Don't worry as myself and Pete have a red carpet .

Yes change ecu , what year is the replacement engine ?

The manufacturer deleting an egr is music to my ears .

7. Thanks Trev Stafford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Must be that time of year again.. bah humbug .

Oh no wait , it's all year round .

Don't worry as myself and Pete have a red carpet .

Yes change ecu , what year is the replacement engine ?

The manufacturer deleting an egr is music to my ears .
    Ok...so if we could get the ECU from the same people (salvage yard) that supplied the engine, ie. hopefully from the same car, that should do the trick ?
    That sounds good.
    We couldn`t just swap it over, though, I presume ?
    Wouldn`t we have to get the keys "chipped" or something because of the immobiliser ?
    The replacement engine is, we were told, from a 2005 Seat.
    Thanks.
    Trev

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev Stafford View Post
    Hi Pete.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I`m pretty sure the engine we`ve fitted is an "AZQ", but the supplier said it might have been from a Seat rather than a VW ?
    OK, so if you change your mind about the ECU swap, as far as I can see the part number you'd be looking for would be 03E 906 033 AM, from a BME code Ibiza built between December 2005 and May 2006. I don't have any Seat wiring info to check whether the ECU connections are all the same bar the EGR related wires.
    Afraid I don't know enough about immo coding to advise on that aspect. Probably doable with VCDS if full details are available of both donor and recipient vehicles.

A bold but cheap (if it went well) solution would be to assume that the head casting is identical apart from the drilling through to exhaust port 3 (and a couple of tapped holes for the fasteners), and drill the BME head to suit an EGR valve ******... Are the tapped holes for the bolts there already?

I could advise on exact dimensions from a spare AZQ head I have if you no longer have the original engine. It's the sort of mad thing I'd have a go at, but maybe inadvisable due to possibility of swarf creating mischief, or waterways jumping out to intercept tapped holes in the making...

Post Thanks / Like
    In case you were wondering, the swear filter has changed the word f lange into ******.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev Stafford View Post
    Ok...so if we could get the ECU from the same people (salvage yard) that supplied the engine, ie. hopefully from the same car, that should do the trick ?
    That sounds good.
    We couldn`t just swap it over, though, I presume ?
    Wouldn`t we have to get the keys "chipped" or something because of the immobiliser ?
    The replacement engine is, we were told, from a 2005 Seat.
    Thanks.
    Trev
    Should've read that before my last post...
    AFAIK the immo info is held in the instrument cluster and everything else compares notes with what's in EEPROM there, so you might need to try to extract the relevant code from that before leaving the Seat vehicle for dead. Maybe have a search around on Ross-tech website for ECU swap immo info, or hope that an admin/expert named 'Crasher' here shows an interest in this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast