Thread: Headlight issues / question

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight issues / question

When I put my side lights on my low beam also come on but dim like a low voltage is being supplied to them. Is this normal?

Just I want to add a relay to do a relay mod to give the bulbs full battery voltage as the light output is terrible. I was going to do this by using the low beam feed / wire as a trigger for the relay but when I put the side lights on it activates the relay putting the low beam on as well but at full brightness

Thanks
    Last edited by Steve2017; 03-12-18 at 14:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, normal, but not required, so find the green polo mint tube sized resistor, bin it, insulate the wire connections that come off it and carry on.
    Known in the day as the 'dim dip' function or some such. Was legally required in some countries ISTR.
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, where abouts would this polo mint tube resistor be? Somewhere in the engine bay? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    On a mk2 it's clipped to the chassis leg just behind the offside headlight in the engine bay, not sure on a mk3, never owned one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some photos on this thread that may help you locate it. Part way down that page.
    http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=131419.20

Post Thanks / Like
    It is what was known as "dim dip" when it was made a requirement on UK model cars, it din't last long as it was rubbish and was soon dropped. I can't remember where it is on an early Golf 3 but I THINK it is up under the wing behind the drivers headlight on the chassis leg, but it has been a while... The resistor is clipped into a bracket and the body is very dark green and wire wound like an old electric fire with green epoxy over the top and the wires going to it are yellow, if you unplug it normal sidelight operation is restored.

2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorted thanks

Another question on the lights, my golf is fitted with some twin chamber style lights Depo ones, when I activate high beam the lowbeam lights turn off and you seem to loose the light right infront of you and to the sides

If I pull the stalk slightly before the click i get lowbeam and high beam on at the same time and the light is miles better but driving holding the stick in that position is a pain...

Is there a way to keep the low beam on as well as the high beam

If not my other option was going to be to use the positive feed from the highbeam to activate the lowbeam relay but I might need to use a diode to only allow current to go one way