Thread: Starting issues 1.4 TSi

Post Thanks / Like

Starting issues 1.4 TSi

Hi,

I have a 2010 Golf 6 1.4 TSi (non supercharged). After 8 years of trouble-free use, it's developed a problem starting. The engine turns over fine and briefly fires before shutting off. The local VW dealership say it's a battery problem but I'm struggling to believe that since the battery is fairly new (changed 2 years ago by a local and trusted independent) and there are no issues turning the engine over. Anyone got any ideas? It's almost as if the ECU is deciding to shut down the engine even before it's started.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by pdk42; 04-12-18 at 14:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post.

Get your battery and starter motor system checked out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post.

Get your battery and starter motor system checked out.
    I appreciate the reply. Sorry for not following forum etiquette. I'm on a number of other car forums (BMW f31 and TT) and contribute lots so I'm not expecting a free ride. I'm just perplexed so thought I'd post and see if anyone has seen anything similar. I've had the car from new and am endlessly impressed by it - an amazing car for the money. Eight years and 72k with not a single issue (until the starting problem!).

Strangely, despite the engine turning over just fine, I put the battery on charge and it started charging at 5A, so maybe it's the battery after all. However, the battery has failed before and on that occasion it was so dead that the engine wouldn't turn over at all on the starter. Maybe it's just different failure modes. Complicated things modern cars...
    Last edited by pdk42; 04-12-18 at 23:42.
    2010 Golf 1.4 TSI