Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Latest 1.5 engine problems reported online

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been receiving a weekly call from my local dealer, basically to confirm each time that there's no news about the anticipated software update, but this week I was gobsmacked to be told that VW have actually released a new version of the software so my car's booked in for this coming Monday to have that applied. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check but I am really hoping that the new software does fix the issue so I can start enjoying the car fully, after 15k miles driven so far.
    2018 Arteon Elegance 1.5 TSI Manual in Pyrite Silver with 19" Chennai alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep us posted, any action code numbers you can extract from them would be helpful.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Keep us posted, any action code numbers you can extract from them would be helpful.
    No worries. If I ask the guy in the Service Department for "action code numbers", will he know what I'm talking about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I am glad to see that I am not the only one with this problem. I have the same 2018 VW Arteon Elegance 1.5 TSI manual with the same kangaroo effect.
    Looking forward to hear if the update resolved the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately it transpired that the dealer had misunderstood the technical bulletin (2048749/7) and that it actually applied to models other than the Arteon (he didn't specify which models) so all I got yesterday was a clean car. Although I'm disappointed, I'm not pissed off at the dealer because the guy in the Service department made a genuine mistake and he's been very good other than that, calling me every week to keep me posted on [the lack of] progress. As usual, he didn't have any info from VW as to anticipated timescales for the rollout of the fix to other models. He also mentioned that there's a apparently major infotaintment software update being rolled out but again this isn't currently released for the Arteon.

I spoke to VW Customer Services and was given the usual "we don't know what the timescale will be and we have to wait for VW AG to tell us" line so I said that wasn't good enough, I was fed up with being brushed off and I wanted the issue escalated so that someone could actually start applying pressure to VW AG on my behalf. I also said that if this issue drags on any longer, I'll be expecting them to fund a replacement clutch to compensate for all the extra slipping I've had to do for the last 10 months / 15k miles in order to pull away smoothly.

Apparently I should be getting a call back from someone more senior either today or tomorrow, so we'll see what happens...

Post Thanks / Like
    Had feedback from Dealer that the 'kangaroo' defect has been fully cured.
    Seams like all 2020 1.5 engines have been changed to a working set
    of 1.5 new engine/D.S.G. combinations that work. No software fixes required.
    Could be a sales pitch but promised some SV trim levels will be available
    at very good discounts to shift stock.
    May jump as unlikely SV will be in the line up for long and can't find
    a better alternative to suit our needs.
    Just spent 750 on Major service and cam belt change so would
    look to getting that back.

Any one confirm this as VW still in 'can I trust them mode' as
    far as I am concerned?
    Last edited by kibby; 22-12-19 at 15:33.
    2014 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, 7A DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    The dealer applied the long-awaiting software update to my car early in September and, while I initially thought it felt better, I agreed to give it a while to re-adjust my driving style as necessary (to stop trying to compensate for the jerkiness, after 10 months doing so) and make a considered judgement as to whether the original issue had been fixed. Unfortunately, my conclusion is that it hasn't and the car still suffers with the same jerkiness when pulling away. It doesn't happen every time and doesn't go away once the engine's warm although cold weather does seem to exacerbate it.

My complaint was escalated with VW Customer Services but apparently the technical team in Germany are now saying that the jerkiness is just a characteristic of the engine and is within normal operating parameters! The only possible solution being offered by VW is to facilitate my rejection of the car (which, to me, implies acknowledgement that there is still a problem) but I don't want to reject it as I won't be able to find a like-for-like replacement and it will also increase my BIK cost due to the WLTP CO2 revision on newer cars. The other consideration, of course, is that if they (VW or the selling dealer) did buy back the car, it would simply be sold to another unsuspecting buyer with exactly the same issue in place!

Following a test drive with the chief technician at my local dealer in order to demonstrate the problem again, I'm waiting for them to confirm the outcome of their conversation with the VW technical department but I'm expecting nothing good to come of that so I'm now planning my next round of escalation within VW.

To answer your original question, I wouldn't believe the dealer's claim that everything is now rosy in the world of the 1.5 TSI engine as I've not heard of a convincing fix for any of the vehicles that've been affected by this hesitation problem so I think you'd be taking a gamble as to whether you'd be lucky and end up with a particular vehicle without the issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123