Thread: Predictive cruise control

Post Thanks / Like

Predictive cruise control

Hi,

I am thinking of leasing an Arteon, and I am also keen to get adaptive cruise control on my next vehicle. I have read that the Arteon features predictive CC, which will also vary the speed based on upcoming junctions, bends etc. I'm not particularly interested in that level of automation, and I have read a couple of articles that have mentioned it occasionally having a mind of its own and weighing anchor in the middle of an empty dual carriageway etc.

So my question would be, is it any good, have other users had these sorts of issues, and is it possible to turn off the predictive part and use it as straight adaptive CC?

Many thanks...

J

Post Thanks / Like
    Adaptive cruise control is about as far as I want to go and I imagine unwanted features can be programmed out although the dealer many not want to so you would need an independant. Also some of the features are adjustle from the dash and radio. Unless I can get my car to drive me home from the pub when I can't walk, I don't see the point in self driving cars.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

3. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Arteon is the first vehicle on which I've used ACC (apart from a few weeks in a rental Camry in the US) and I was also keen to have this system as I cover a lot of miles each year on the crowded motorways around the South East. After about a month and a couple of thousand miles I'm generally pleased with the system and have the following observations:

1. The adaptive part of the ACC is not switchable (to your question) so you do not have the option to use 'normal' cruise control.
    2. I believe the predictive part is switchable, although I cannot remember whereabouts in the settings offhand. I've found that the prescribed speeds can be over-cautious (e.g. 38mph around the fairly broad bend joining the M1 from the M25 eastbound) but I've not formed a particularly strong opinion either way.
    3. I know that the system will brake the car to a halt and move off again in stop start traffic if it's DSG equipped but I specifically wanted a manual box so have missed out on that option. Instead, the system will work down to about 20mph after which an alert sounds for the driver to take back control.
    4. In my old Passat CC, dipping the clutch would disengage the cruise control but this system remains engaged during gear changes, which makes it much more useful in heavy traffic.
    5. The system can display information between the 'dials' indicating what vehicles it's sensing in proximity and this is useful for determining when to change lanes in order to pass a slower vehicle.
    6. As part of the predictive element, there is the option to have the ACC adjust to the current speed limit. I haven't used this as I like the option of allowing a slight margin over the limit, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness.
    7. I have had a couple of occasions when the car's detected some sort of imaginary obstacle and slammed on the anchors, which is quite alarming, but this has only happened in low speed stop start traffic.

I hope that's given you a bit of insight into the system but let me know if you have any further questions.
    Last edited by RichardR; 17-12-18 at 15:12.
    2018 Arteon Elegance 1.5 TSI Manual in Pyrite Silver with 19" Chennai alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had my Arteon nearly 2 months. It took around a month / 1000 miles to learn how to drive it. Previously I drove a 2011 DSG Passat for 6 years. It took a few weeks to discover if my vehicle had parts if the Arteon Manual which are marked 'may not be fitted on .....". The manual, which is provided in printed form, is also available online as a pdf download, so I ended up editing a downloaded copy and using a pdf editor to personalise my manual to my build, create an beginner's index, and append helpful notes and clarifications.

I support @RichardR comments in that Predicitive CC can be very unpredictable, especially dangerous too when speed limits are interpreted via infotainment systems. I now only use it's predictive function is simple driving situations. The Handbook recommends caution on bendy roads, etc.
    Particularly application of brakes under it's distance control, and also when entering a lower speed zone (say 70 dropping to 40 for example), is just too fierce. Slamming on the brakes unneccessarily hard (not by me that is) is not good driving in my book and scares the passengers. It's like the software is prototype version 1. The manual is not easy either and I still have unanswered questions. As for Lane Control, after trying it out I decided to disable that too.

Last week I got to see what 'S' does on the drive mode list, and also I discovered how to get 52 mpg on the daily average journey mpg indicator. Awesome !
    Last edited by Midori; 21-12-18 at 12:58.
    2018 Arteon R-Line 2.0 TSi + Discover Media Gen2
    (previous experience Golf 1.4 TSI
    Passat Mk7 2.0 TDI and Audi A4, CBR1100xx, VCDS, Elsawin v5.20).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardR View Post
    1. The adaptive part of the ACC is not switchable (to your question) so you do not have the option to use 'normal' cruise control.
    Can be coded with VCDS to act as ''normal'' cruise control.
    2007 Passat B6 2.0 TDI-PD, BMR, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    I find normal cruise control can be enabled depending on the buttons you press. The Infortainment enables has some tick boxes to too, although it seems not to be covered fully in the Handbook. The bottom row of dash icon shows it as a mini speed dial with pointer > when simple cruise control is invoked. A mini speed dial with @ cogwheel shows when the other attributes are invoked. Pressing just the 'Res' button or 'Set' button sets the cruise speed to former mph or current mph as it says in below video, but you need the icon with > pointer showing, not the @ cogwheel.
    https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technol...#overlay-close
    2018 Arteon R-Line 2.0 TSi + Discover Media Gen2
    (previous experience Golf 1.4 TSI
    Passat Mk7 2.0 TDI and Audi A4, CBR1100xx, VCDS, Elsawin v5.20).