Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW Polo water leak

Post Thanks / Like

Question VW Polo water leak

Hi. My name is Liz, I am new to the forum. I have a much cherished 2003 Polo 1.9 TDI, which is a great little runner. However..... there is an annoying water leak from the top left side of the hatchback. When it is raining heavily water just pours in to the hatchback space of the car. I can't find out where exactly it's getting in!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Liz.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own.

If your female perhaps you would like to make a comment in How many female drivers on here?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have a look at mine in a bit (when it gets lighter!) Liz, and see if I can offer any theories.

I had a leak via the nearside rear light cluster seal a while back, but from your description yours is coming from higher up than that area?
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    That is where the rubber wiring tube is, it could be detached due to someone doing some wiring repairs to the tailgate?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like

Water leak

Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    I'll have a look at mine in a bit (when it gets lighter!) Liz, and see if I can offer any theories.

I had a leak via the nearside rear light cluster seal a while back, but from your description yours is coming from higher up than that area?

Thanks. Yes, the water is getting in right at the top left side of the hatchback. It's intermittent, so assume it depends on the angle of water hitting it. I have learned successfully not to spray water from a hosepipe when cleaning the car. I guess there is a problem with the rubber seal, but I can't see anything. Maybe I can just replace the seal - I would like to try and do this myself as the garage charges a fortune.
    2003 Polo 1.9 TDI

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply. I haven't had any repairs to the tailgate, but I guess the problem has to be with the rubber seal. I can't see anything wrong with it, but I will have a good look at the weekend to check if it's become detached, or even perished. Is it easy to replace? Sadly, my DIY skills with cars are almost non-existent.
    2003 Polo 1.9 TDI

Post Thanks / Like
    No it is awful to replace, you have to remove the tailgate harness, de-pin all the terminals, pull the tube off, slid the wires through the new one and rebuild, a right pain and many hours work. Hopefully it is just detached at the roof.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like

Water leak

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    No it is awful to replace, you have to remove the tailgate harness, de-pin all the terminals, pull the tube off, slid the wires through the new one and rebuild, a right pain and many hours work. Hopefully it is just detached at the roof.

Thank you for the warning. Sounds like "don't try this one at home"! Hopefully just detached at the roof edge, will have a good look when it stops raining. I really appreciate your advice.
    2003 Polo 1.9 TDI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Y View Post
    Thanks. Yes, the water is getting in right at the top left side of the hatchback. It's intermittent, so assume it depends on the angle of water hitting it. I have learned successfully not to spray water from a hosepipe when cleaning the car. I guess there is a problem with the rubber seal, but I can't see anything. Maybe I can just replace the seal - I would like to try and do this myself as the garage charges a fortune.

Do you mean the rubber bellows around the wiring (A in my photo) or the rubber seal around the whole frame where the tailgate closes onto (B in my pic)?
    If you look closely at my photo, you can see that the wiring bellows has abraded the top edge of the seal. May be worth looking closely at yours to see if the seal has been worn right through in that area? https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ppa4j9s7n...75452.jpg?dl=0

Post Thanks / Like
    I've just noticed there's also what looks like a small hole in the rubber wiring bellows on mine, when I expand the picture. A couple of convolutions up from the A end of it. Check yours for similar or worse damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast