Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 DSG Bluemotion; new car and now juddering problem when pulling away

Post Thanks / Like

1.5 DSG Bluemotion; new car and now juddering problem when pulling away

Hi All
    Went to pick up my replacement car last week. Its the 1.5 SE NAV 130 DSG bluemotion.

Driving away from the dealer I noticed the car juddered when starting to move in 1st. Same thing happened consistently from stop to pulling away.

Returned to dealer and after 45 mins they returned with a white paper declaring there is a known sw problem (engine management unit) in that the car judders when initially moving away. From what they say it only happens in when the engine is cold. The driving experience is terrible and feels like I have gone back 20 years and driving an old banger that has not been tuned properly.

They had another car in the same batch as mine and it also has the same problem, so likely to be a large batch of cars with this fault.

The dealer says the car is roadworthy and wants me to take it away and wait for the software fix to come along. I wanted to keep the courtesy car until it is fixed but they are not having it as its costing the dealership money.

These cars have not been recalled so I assume (and what the dealer says) the juddering is not causing any damage to gearbox or engine.
    I could also get a refund but then I need to go through the hassle of getting another car which I do not want to do.
    What would you do in this situation?. I suppose I can always wait 5 mins for the car to warm up before pulling away - maybe they will make an amendment in the user manual
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5 TSI EVO

Post Thanks / Like
    Reject the car.
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pete, Yes I could do that and get a refund, but then in the meantime I do not have a car and I need one for work. And as I explained cars in the same batch all seem to have the same problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realise it's inconvenient, but do you really want to let VW get away with putting something on the market that is clearly flawed, and only their word that they may be able to fix it in some months time?
    They didn't exactly cover themselves in glory the last time they had to do a major software fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

Is this just affecting DSG Models as I have a 150hp on order that is manual

Thanks
    Ordered: Golf GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Google it, I think you may find plenty of hits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Pete,
    You got a very good point and to be honest I am seriously concerned about VW quality and how/why they released a car with such an obvious bug.
    I got courtesy car over Xmas so will think about it.
    I am a software engineer as well so I understand these things do happen and if its just a simple fix and not doing any lasting damage then I would be ok with that.

Hi Has,
    This is just on the DSG bluemotion version. My understanding is that you will be ok with the manual version. I am not sure if this bug will be in the 150 version of the DSG though. Hopefully any members that have this car will let us know

Post Thanks / Like
    I did google a week back and I came to the conclusion that judder issuers reported in the past have been with cars having done around 40K and associated with mechanical problems in the mechatronics (DSG) unit - apologies if that is the wrong word. They also were mainly reported around 3 to 4 years back so I had assumed these mechanical issues had been sorted - although I am sure we will get other opinions.

The problem on my car they seem to know about and isolated it to a software issue. I could not find any such similar issue on the google search I did.

I did raise concerns regarding the DSG system getting damaged but the dealer said VW would have recalled cars if that was the case.

If I knew the DSG system was at fault I would definitely reject the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    29-page thread on some affected Skodas here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...st-gear-issue/
    Page 25 starts with someone saying "Seems that manuals are more affected than dsg’s."

Have no personal experience of these issues, but it seems widespread, and known about by manufacturers and some parts of the media from what I recall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow - very interesting. Apologies to Has as I may have misinformed him. I thought this was specific to the DSG gearbox. And of course the Skoda issue could be completely different. tbh my car feels as though its to do with the petrol injection as though its badly tuned rather than the clutch, but not sure. Of course I asked for information as to what is causing the judder and they cannot tell me!!.
    Just to mention, my previous version of this car which I bought 9 months ago was really smooth when pulling away. I returned that one because of niggly issues associated with the coasting and start/stop. So if its software then its something they have introduced since.

I am enquiring around if there is a 150bhp verison available and if this has the problem. If I can locate one and its not got an issue then I probably will go with that. Bit more expensive but I want peace of mind and able to enjoy the car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast