Thread: P0011 Intake Camshaft Position Timing - VW SportWagon 2.5L

Post Thanks / Like

P0011 Intake Camshaft Position Timing - VW SportWagon 2.5L

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20181220-131202.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	6395

Hey everybody. New here to the group. First time MK6 owner, long time VW owner. Recently picked up a 2010 Sportwagon with the 2.5L gas. I bought the car about a week ago to replace an 08 City Golf that was totaled in an accident. Well after a week of ownership I'm having issues with the engine. I was driving in traffic yesterday when I noticed the CEL light came on. The car still idled and had power the whole trip home. Got out my code scanner and there were 3 codes stored in the system.

P0011 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over Advanced (Bank1)
    P0332 - Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (Bank2)
    P000A - Engine Position System Performance - Bank 1

Never seen these codes before. On a cold start the engine catches on the first turn over, but once warmed up it will sputter for a few seconds and an extended crank over is needed before starting. Once it starts it runs and has power. Any ideas where to start looking?

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

That's a generic scanner you can't look into these components deeper.

VAG Error Code: 16395/2795/14870/000017
    EOBD II Error Code: P0011

Fault Location:
    Camshaft A (Intake) Left/Front, Bank 1 - Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Power Loss.

Intake Camshaft Timing Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty.
    Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty.
    Mechanical Timing not correct, including Chain and/or Belt timing.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Intake Camshaft Timing Adjustment Valve 1 (N205).
    Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17).
    Check Mechanical Timing.
    Difference between target and actual > 8 CRK and adjustment angle < 2.5 CRK.

Special Notes:
    When found in Engine: 4.0l W8.
    Check Technical Product Information (TPI) 2010059 Rest of World (RoW).
    Check/Replace Oil Sieve in Timing Case (Camshaft Adjuster).
    When found in 2008 and newer VW 2.0T engine with a timing chain (example; CCTA and CBFA), please see:
    TT 01-15-08 for information about the intake camshaft, adjuster bridge and spool valve.

VAG Error Code: 16716/000818
    EOBD II Error Code: P0332

Fault Location:
    Knock Sensor (KS) 2 (G66) - Signal too Low/Short Circuit to Earth

Possible Cause:
    Possible Lack/Loss or Power.

Fuse(s).
    Wiring/Connector(s) short to earth.
    Improperly torqued Knock Sensor (KS) 2 (G66).
    Knock Sensor (KS) 2 (G66) damaged.
    Engine Control Module (ECM) damaged.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuse(s).
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Torque Knock Sensor (KS) 2 (G66) to specifications.
    Check Knock Sensor (KS) 2 (G66) and Knock Control.

Special Notes:
    This feature search for unusual (spontaneous) combustion. The sensor detects unusual vibrations and based on that it generates a voltage. Is this voltage outside a certain limit a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set.

Tech Notes:
    The P0332 code means that the Knock Sensor is not working properly. Problems with the Knock Sensor (KS) will not cause an engine performance problems. Replacing the Knock Sensor (KS) usually takes care of the problem.

When is the code detected?:
    An excessively low voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
    The Knock Sensor (KS) is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is sensed as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the Engine Control Module (ECM).

VAG Error Code: 2796/000010
    EOBD II Error Code: P000A

Fault Location:
    Intake Camshaft Positioner 'A', Bank 1 - Slow Response

Possible Cause:

Intake Camshaft Timing Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty.
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Intake Camshaft Adjustment (Bank 1) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Intake Camshaft Timing Adjustment Valve 1 (N205).
    Perform Output Test.
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Check Intake Camshaft Adjustment (Bank 1).
    Perform Basic Setting.
    Check for Tightness of the Adjustment Mechanism.
    Check Engine Oil Pressure.
    Possible blockage of the oil pickup pipe.
    Difference between target and actual > 8 CRK and adjustment angle > 2.5 CRK.

Description:
    The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors and evaluates the response of the actual position on a target position change. The setpoint and camshaft position are saved at the beginning of a setpoint change. If this change over time is large enough (gradient), the camshaft phasing change is evaluated. If the change after the diagnostic time is smaller than a threshold, a slow response is detected, and if the value is greater, then there is no concern. By detecting a concern, an antibounce counter is incremented otherwise the counter is decremented. If the counter exceeds an adjustable limit, the P000A is set.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    We don't get that engine in the UK (not fair I know) so I am assuming it is type AJ with a CBUA or CBTA engine? Knowing the engine as I do P0011 immediately makes me think oil pressure and probaly the reason the car was sold on. The pressure should be no lower than 2.7Bar at 2000 rpm at 80 degrees centigrade and I like to see it more like 4.5Bar
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: