Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning smell

Post Thanks / Like

Burning smell

I have fumes coming in that I initially thought was coming from a blown exhaust, but I now think it could be something like burning oil on the exhaust. I took the engine cover off but can’t see anything up top. There is a small oil leak below the front bottom pulley but nowhere near any exhaust or hot parts. Everything appears dry at the back of the engine and is dry below. It is worse when idling when stopped at lights but still noticible when traveling.
    It’s a 2013 Touareg 3.0 v6 TDI coming on 85000 miles.
    Anyone have any idea?
    Tia.
    2017 Golf GTD Estate 2.0 TDI-CR 184PS
    2004 Golf GT 2.0 TDI, 140PS (now sold)
    2013 Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not easy to diagnose on the web. I would check/replace the pollen filter and check there are no leaves or crap blocking the heater drains.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did think of changing pollen filter. Where will I find the heater drains?

Post Thanks / Like
    Normally on the heater intake on the bulk head or bonnet depending on the model.

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly a problem with the auxiliary heater.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Changed pollen filter but still getting fumes in. Definitely exhaust fumes as it catches your throat and can feel eyes stingy.
    Im not aware of an auxiliary heater fitted or not. What do I look for and where?

Post Thanks / Like
    The auxiliary heater do give problems on Touran but I don't see anything listed in fuse and relays.

2012 Touareg BlueMotion 3.0 TDI-CR Fuses & Relays 7P52GJ CRCA - 245PS 2010-2014

PDF files

Post Thanks / Like
    As a Touran owner I can confirm that the aux heater does produce fumes that get into the car when stationary sometimes. I think the fumes enter via the normal fresh air/heater ventilation system. The smell is a little different to the normal exhaust smell though more like the smell of aviation fuel. A further thought is it related to DPF regen - could there be a slight fuel weep on the fuel supply to the DPF and on a regen the extra heat causes it to burn off. I say a weep rather than a leak - so it wouldn't normally show up as a wet patch because it burns off.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI(110) DSG Silver.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I know the smell you are on about from the aux heater, fumes I am getting are definitely exhaust. Still get fumes in when heating on recirculating mode.
    One thing though, what way do the arrows on the pollen filter go? Towards the matrix or towards the fan?
    Ill try a dpf cleaner additive as a hopefully a quick fix.
    Last edited by Bjk67; 25-12-18 at 21:28. Reason: Addition

Post Thanks / Like
    The auxiliary heater works by burning diesel which then exits by its own small exhaust, as far as I have ever seen the Touareg diesel always comes with an auxiliary heater but there are variations so if you private message me your REG number I will tell you which spec you have. I can’t check in depth at home but for cars built July 2013 the exhaust was modified and the earlier part discontinued so as to relocate the exhaust pipe. To test the theory, turn the heating down to min (wrap up warm) and turn the ac onto econ and let it blow cold air, if the smell goes you know it is the auxiliary heater and the problem can simply be a worn glow plug which is 81.84 but is a long job to fit, the heater is inside the left front wing.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

11. Likes Renars liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast