Thread: The Sharan has let me down for the first time

Post Thanks / Like

The Sharan has let me down for the first time

Strange things were happening with my Sharan on Christmas Eve, electrical systems were dropping out. Stop/start (which hasn't worked in months anyway), AFS, Front assist, limited steering function light on, ACC and possibly more. Come Christmas Day when I had to to drive 40 miles for my dinner the car would not start and one of my sons had to come and fetch me. He brought me home around 11pm and as he is a mechanic he took a look at the car. The battery had not recovered and was even flatter than before. He was able to disengage the electric handbrake so it was clear of the garage where my MX5 lives so I could use it the next day. The MX5 started straight away in spite of not being used since August. Anyway, back to the Sharan. My son was surprised at just how small the battery was at 70 amp hours and is way smaller than the one fitted to his Audi A6 Quattro. My car has a lot of power draining options and he thinks the car should have a higher rated battery. The car went back to the VW dealer this morning. No word from them so far.

Gra
    2017 Sharan SEL 2.0 TDI-CR, SCR 184 6spd DSG, Atlantic Blue, Palladium Grey Alcantara, Xenon headlights, electric rear doors, rear camera, folding mirrors, Dynaudio sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is it , they put smaller capacity batteries on now just to last outside the warranty , whereas early 2000's cars would last over a decade and now my 2003 1.9 has a 800CCA 85Ah .

Post Thanks / Like
    I've just had an update from the dealer after they have had it for nearly a week. Apparently it needs a new battery, one headlight and a new steering wheel and is unlikely to be fixed until mid January. A hire Sharan is on its way to me.

Gra
    2017 Sharan SEL 2.0 TDI-CR, SCR 184 6spd DSG, Atlantic Blue, Palladium Grey Alcantara, Xenon headlights, electric rear doors, rear camera, folding mirrors, Dynaudio sound.