Thread: Clarification of reply process needed please.

Post Thanks / Like

Clarification of reply process needed please.

I'm afraid I find the reply options and process confusing and invariably lose the reply I have crafted when asked to 'refresh the page and log in for a second time', which is very annoying. And the 'restore auto-saved text' feature only restores part of my reply, even when I have seen the auto-save flash up after completing my draft.

Replying to a post should be easy and instinctive (like with e-mail) but it isn't. Please could the options and exact recommended process be made clear, including buttons to be clicked before drafting text and afterwards to actually post the reply. I have looked at FAQ on this but the info there is incomplete and not clear and I see another member has asked the same question as me but the reply did not appear to address the question. I have generally tried to use 'quick reply' but perhaps this has restrictions or I'm taking too long or doing things incorrectly?

I take time and trouble to craft clear text and it is very frustrating to then lose it in the posting process. Your help in making things clear would be much appreciated.
    2018 Golf Estate SE BlueMotion 1.5 TSI EVO, DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    May I suggest that you use a Word document to compile and save any correspondence.
    No text would then be "lost" as if a post went astray for whatever reason simply copy and paste from your saved Word document into the reply section.
    Last edited by Sam&Anne; 30-12-18 at 22:52.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sam & Anne

Thank you for your sensible suggestion, which I had already decided to do in future, after losing a particularly detailed draft yesterday! However, I do think it would be helpful if the reply process were simpler and could be made really clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am active on several forums as several different people and admin on one of them. I always prepare, compile and save in Word any text related to forums before entering them.
    Some forums can be a nightmare (not this one) for mutilating text and with a memory like mine it is essential in my case to keep drafts of all contributions to forums in Word files.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    The only problem I have in posting on forums is if its a big reply when I post it I loose my web connection so I have to fix that and repost again. Now I right click and select all text and copy to the clipboard before I post.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for various helpful replies but, to return to the original request, I have found by trial and error that clicking first on the simple 'reply' button at the bottom of the previous post before entering text into the 'Quick reply' box, so far seems to have avoided being thrown out and having to re-log-in with attendant loss of text. Then click on 'post quick reply'. I know this sounds obvious, but with the various possible permutations of reply buttons, it actually isn't so obvious to start with! Hope this may help some new users. Maybe long posts will still be problematic but so far, so good!