Thread: Cruising in Arteon ECO mod

Post Thanks / Like

Cruising in Arteon ECO mod

Is this normal? My Arteon is left in ECO mode. Every startup (journey) it fails to enter "Cruising" unless I press the DRIVE MODE button 5 times, which cycles me from ECO mode back to ECO mode in infotainment display. At start of journey Dash drive icon displays N, whereas infotainment shows Eco icon.
    After cycling drive back to ECO this all works normally and if tilt shift D/S lever in and back out of >Sports Mode >ECO mode, Cruising continues to work ! Is there a reason for this or is it a firmware bug?
    2018 Arteon R-Line 2.0 TSi + Discover Media Gen2
    (previous experience Golf 1.4 TSI
    Passat Mk7 2.0 TDI and Audi A4, CBR1100xx, VCDS, Elsawin v5.20).

Post Thanks / Like
    There don't seem to be that many of us Arteon drivers on here at the moment but unfortunately I can't offer any help with this topic as mine's a manual.

Out of interest, what is "Cruising"? I'm assuming that it's a function of the DSG box but am intrigued to know more...
    2018 Arteon Elegance 1.5 TSI Manual in Pyrite Silver with 19" Chennai alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Richard. I had DSG on my 2011 Passat, but it was several weeks before bothering to get it working. Perhaps the above fault/peculiarity completely hid the Cruise function from me until one day I saw the word "Cruising" appear on the dash. Time to read the User Manual again I thought.
    Basicallly the ECO mode introduces "Cruising", which pops up on the dash. The Arteon puts DSG into neutral and the dash shows engine rpm at tickover <1000 rpm too. The wheels are therefore disengaged from the engine and drive chain, and the instantaneous mpg goes off the scale ! Wooopee !

In detail, it suits driving on A and B roads, but not city or motorway driving. When speed limit drops from say 60 to 50/40/30 mph, "Cruising" cuts in as soon as the driver take foot of gas peddle, The DSG Arteon then rolls for half a mile on flat roads, increases speed on down gradients, and visa versa. Kiss either the brake peddle or a gear paddle and the DSG re-engages so as to slow the car as in normal driving mode using petrol of course. It is really unbelievable how little speed reduces during Cruising (subject to road surface, wind speed, gradient, wheel size, tires, pressures etc).

It seems essential to reach VW's quoted MPG figures. It's well worth trying the function even though it appears to be crazy stupidity. I absolutely love it. Of course there are times when it would be dangerous, like busy M25 for example. If you pass HW someday I'll give you a demo.
    Last edited by Midori; 07-01-19 at 11:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that explanation. I've read about this type of coasting feature before but this is the first time I've had it explained in context.

Obviously I don't have this Cruising feature with the manual 'box but I guess I could replicate it by putting the car into neutral while rolling along!

I don't know if you've noticed this on yours but I do see the cylinder deactivation, signified by the little ECO logo at the bottom right of the tachometer, kicking in quite frequently on all types of roads. There is absolutely no noticeable effect on the way the car drives but, equally, I have no idea how much fuel it really saves. This video explains the operation and they make the claim of potential fuel savings of up to 20%!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohh I am SO looking forward to when these ACT systems start going wrong.... not!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardR View Post

I don't know if you've noticed this on yours but I do see the cylinder deactivation, signified by the little ECO logo at the bottom right of the tachometer, kicking in quite frequently on all types of roads. There is absolutely no noticeable effect on the way the car drives but, equally, I have no idea how much fuel it really saves. This video explains the operation and they make the claim of potential fuel savings of up to 20%!
    Yes, and I found the answer to my original question>>> User manual says....
    "When the ignition is switched off, the set driving profile and the individual settings will remain selected",
    "If last selected driving profile was Sport or Eco, the settings of the engine or DSG dual clutch gearbox will be RESET TO NORMAL as soon as the driver door is opened when the ignition is switched off."

Pity the Infotainment display still says ECO as this is not germanic logic, it has to be a bug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Midori View Post
    Yes, and I found the answer to my original question>>> User manual says....
    "When the ignition is switched off, the set driving profile and the individual settings will remain selected",
    "If last selected driving profile was Sport or Eco, the settings of the engine or DSG dual clutch gearbox will be RESET TO NORMAL as soon as the driver door is opened when the ignition is switched off."
    I have the driving profile set to Individual and the Drive element then set to "Eco", which allows the cylinder deactivation, dynamic headlights etc. all to function, and I do not have to reset it each time I start the car so it might be worth your while trying that rather than using the specific Sport or Eco profiles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arteon Drive Mode.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	6433

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardR View Post
    I have the driving profile set to Individual and the Drive element then set to "Eco", which allows the cylinder deactivation, dynamic headlights etc. all to function, and I do not have to reset it each time I start the car so it might be worth your while trying that rather than using the specific Sport or Eco profiles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arteon Drive Mode.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	6433
    There are differences between manual and dsg gearbox automation. The manual clearly states "If profile was Sport or Eco, settings of the engine or DSG gearbox will be RESET TO NORMAL" !!!!!!!!!!!
    It's just daft that the Mode indication does not change in sympathy to 'Normal'
    Perhaps there is a workaround with VCDS.