Thread: 1.6FSI 2005 Golf - Timing Chain Replacement - Second Opinion

Post Thanks / Like

1.6FSI 2005 Golf - Timing Chain Replacement - Second Opinion

Dear VWForum,

A few weeks ago, I notice my 2005 1.6 FSI Golf, which has done 72K miles, rattles and sometimes stall during engine start.
    Soon after that I had the starter motor replaced. The issue persist, after some research I decided to have the timing chain replaced as I fear it might be the root caused.

The garage replaced the timing chain (and oil & oil filter change etc ) a few days ago. Unfortunately, almost 3 miles into driving the car, the eng warning light came up.
    I used my OBD reader and the fault code is P0016. "P0016 is the OBD-II generic code indicating that the camshaft position sensor for bank 1 does not correlate to the signal from the crankshaft position sensor."
    I sent the car back to the same garage as the fault is to timing.

They came back today and said the fault is to do with a failed "VVT Pulley"and gave me a quote of GBP850.

Now...I cannot verify whether he is saying is true or if is this just a method to rip me off.
    I hope the knowledge and experience form this forum can help
    What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the trouble

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this post.

VAG Error Code: 16400/4096/000022
    EOBD II Error Code: P0016

Fault Location:
    Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40)/Engine Speed Sensor [G28], Bank 1 - Incorrect Correlation

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Timing Issue.
    Camshaft Adjuster.
    Timing belt jumped.
    Timing chain has jumped tooth or chain stretched.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Setting of Timing Belt.
    Check Timing of Intake/Exhaust Cams.
    Check Cam Adjusters as per Repair Manual.
    Permissible deviation < -11 CRK or Permissible deviation > 11 CRK.

Special Notes:
    North American Region (NAR) specific notes:
    When found in 2009 Audi A4, A5 or Q5 with 3.2 FSI AVE Engines, please see Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-09-04.
    When found in 2008 and newer VW 2.0T engine with a timing chain (example; CCTA and CBFA), please see Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-12-01 or Technical Product Information (TPI) 2028302 for no-start timing chain related problems.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.