Thread: 1.4 TSI not starting and rattling

Post Thanks / Like

Question 1.4 TSI not starting and rattling

Hi, I am new to this site because I need some help with my golf 6. Also my mechanic is not sure what to do so I just would like to ask you if you had similar problems.

In April my car (2010 Golf 1.4 TSI 90kW) started rattling during start up, so we replaced the chain and tensioners, oil etc. It was good for 2 weeks then the rattle during start showed again. Nobody knew why.

Later I experienced really interesting starts, when the engine revs went to about 1500, then dropped to etc 100 and again went to usual idle revs (900). This occurred randomly, and the chain rattled everytime it happened.

Chain rattling went worse, it used to rattle for a while when the car was cold, now it rattles even after long highway trip after 5 minutes of being turned off at the gas station, even when the engine is warm.

In december I experienced my car to not even start. I had to start my car fo like 5 to 10 times to make it going.

So I assumed it would by good idea to visit service again (I had my periodical inspection in september). The mechanic is not even now sure what's wrong. I thought the rattling chain is the reason why the car is not starting. But we replaced fuel filter and high pressure fuel pump as it could be the reason why the car wouldn't start. It looks it worked but it's just few days so I am not 100% sure as the starting problems were more sporadic than frequent (once or twice a week). Chain still rattles and my mechanic estimates it can be only oil pump, as the chain was replaced before 20,000 km (12,000 miles). Even the oil bath was cleaned from some dirt just because we thought it could help.

Mechanic said, he would usually replace the chain, but because mine was just replaced it doesn't need to solve my problem. The chain was replaced at authorized VW service with not really good reviews, so we don't know if they replaced it with the modernized chain which should solve the rattling issues or they have not even replaced it. So I stopped visiting this station since then.

I will appreciate any ideas, because it's driving me crazy and the repairs are not really cheap.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the chain rattles then problem is with chain and you have to fix it by changing chain kit again. If you are not sure if its chain or oil pump its different story. HP fuel pump is quite expensive to change it just like that I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought if the chain rattles due to oil pump which sends oil to tensioners. Because rattling occurs for 10 seconds after start it means that the tensioner donít have enough oil to tension the chain, thats why I thought it could be oil pump. Mechanic saw the chain and said he cant see any wear but itís very different to identify at least some wear at all. But yeah both repairs are really expensive...

Is it even possible for the chain to wear out in just 20,000 km (12,000 miles)? It can also lead to engine failure as I read.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think chain itself is worn more like tensioner isnt working properly. You should look at oil pressure with VCDS and that would help you to set your mind on whats actually causing problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I will ask about oil pressure check. The thing is that they told me that the rattle on start up is normal for this car and they donít know how to solve it. Even that is not possible. But for the other golf 6 with the same rattling problem they just changed the chain and it works good and does not rattle at all, but they donít suggest me to replace the chain again when it was replaced before. I am pretty confused

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes by now most of them develop this rattle, but some dont. Also when its new there is no rattle then why with new chain kit it rattles? Its just very unpleasant if chain breaks or jumps otherwise rattle is not too annoying.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am scared of jumping of breaking the chain. My mom had this problem with her Scirocco when she needed to replace the whole engine.
    I ignored the rattle at all but I started to be more curious when it become rattling when the oil and engine was warm. with all the problems with starting i assumed that the rattling caused the starting issues due to invorrect valce timing. But VCDS showed 0 errors

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar issue on a BMW once. It was dirt in the oil flow chamber that led to the hydraulic chain tensioner. Just a fleck of old silicone that I blew out with compressed air. Unlikely to have wrecked a new chain in such a short period. Good luck.
    2009 Passat 4Motion 3.2 FSI