Thread: New member needing some advise

Post Thanks / Like

New member needing some advise

Hi all,

I am a new member in this forum.

I recently bought a 2005 Golf Plus 1.6 FSI, clocked 116k miles. I live in Worthing.

After a couple of months the MIL went on and when scanned it showed error for the EGR. Having investigated the EGR, I replaced the EGR.

Right after replacing the EGR and clearing the codes, a new code popped up - P0016/$10: Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A. This error only pops up after a few cranks and some driving, it doesn't show immediately after clearing the code. I have check the sensor and tried replacing it with a new sensor but this did not solve the problem, the error code popped up after a bit of use. There is no deterioration of the engine performance and no problem with cranking the engine. No nasty sound around the timing chain.

In between this time, a new issue popped up. The passenger side door cannot be unlocked and the passenger side power window is not working. After a couple of weeks, the door unlocked itself. But then could not be unlocked after a few days. Every time this happens, the double signal lights are blinking (when i park and lock the car there is no light, when i come back to pick up the car a few hours later there is double signal blinking). I am not sure if this is related with the P0016 error at first, but now i am wondering if this could be a electrical / wiring issue. I have checked the wiring around the EGR, cam sensors and air intake, i do not see any damaged wires.

Would like to understand if anyone has any experience or could advise before i invest in changing the timing chain.

Thank you very much for any advise and sorry for the trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own.

VAG Error Code: 16400/4096/000022
    EOBD II Error Code: P0016

Fault Location:
    Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40)/Engine Speed Sensor [G28], Bank 1 - Incorrect Correlation

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Timing Issue.
    Camshaft Adjuster.
    Timing belt jumped.
    Timing chain has jumped tooth or chain stretched.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Setting of Timing Belt.
    Check Timing of Intake/Exhaust Cams.
    Check Cam Adjusters as per Repair Manual.
    Permissible deviation < -11 CRK or Permissible deviation > 11 CRK.

Special Notes:
    North American Region (NAR) specific notes:
    When found in 2009 Audi A4, A5 or Q5 with 3.2 FSI AVE Engines, please see Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-09-04.
    When found in 2008 and newer VW 2.0T engine with a timing chain (example; CCTA and CBFA), please see Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-12-01 or Technical Product Information (TPI) 2028302 for no-start timing chain related problems.

Cam Chain

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Thanks Ben5258 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The clue with the P0016 code is that the signal is implausible, it is there but it is wrong. On your engine this will be a worn (maybe jumped) timing chain, we do loads of them.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

5. Thanks Ben5258 thanked for this post