Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: modifying the wash wipe sequence

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    modifying the wash wipe sequence

    Hi all,

    Does any one knew if there is a way to modify the wash wipe sequence on the Fox or any VCDS long codes for the Fox that would change the way the wash wipe function on my Fox works.

    Currently it's wipers move and are nearly back parked again BEFORE the water sprays. This has is the only thing that annoys me about the Fox and is responsible for the grazing on the windscreen as a result.

    Id like to change it to the other way around so it sprays the wash fluid first then sends the wipers across.

    Any thoughts and info on how this timing is managed are much appreciated!

    RJ

  2. #2
    Administrator Keithuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stoke on Trent
    Posts
    13,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure on your Fox but my Golf you pull up the wiper stalk and it sprays water as well as operating the wipers. I haven't looked in VCDS to see if there is an option to change this.

    Do you have access to VCDS?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.


  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    I'm not sure on your Fox but my Golf you pull up the wiper stalk and it sprays water as well as operating the wipers. I haven't looked in VCDS to see if there is an option to change this.

    Do you have access to VCDS?
    You're also burning the midnight oil I see :P

    It does spray and wipe like any other car as normal. But it does nearly a complete back and forth of the wipers before any water lands on the screen. Dragging all the muck across the screen before adding wash fluid. This I believe is responsible for the grazing of the glass that's been building up over the last couple of years. Other cars and vans I've owned or driven tend to spray water as the wipers start to move or just before.

    A buddy of mine had got VCDS and he said find the info and we shall go and do it. But I've never played with it and have no idea what the craic with it or how it works other than he told me to "find the long code" for what I want to tinker with.

    Hope that means more to you than me!
    Last edited by RomeoJuliet; 25-01-19 at 03:18.
    2008 Fox 1.2

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RomeoJuliet View Post
    You're also burning the midnight oil I see :P

    It does spray and wipe like any other car as normal. But it does nearly a complete back and forth of the wipers before any water lands on the screen. Dragging all the muck across the screen before adding wash fluid. This I believe is responsible for the grazing of the glass that's been building up over the last couple of years. Other cars and vans I've owned or driven tend to spray water as the wipers start to move or just before.

    A buddy of mine had got VCDS and he said find the info and we shall go and do it. But I've never played with it and have no idea what the craic with it or how it works other than he told me to "find the long code" for what I want to tinker with.

    Hope that means more to you than me!
    I highly doubt that it's possible to change this behaviour through coding / vcds. It will be hard coded into the wiper control unit.
    2005 Golf 1.6 FSI, BLP

  5. #5
    Senior Member Sam&Anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    On mine, water first and plenty of it, then wipers.
    On my wife's previous Nissan Note, lots of water then wipers.
    On my faithful Accord, both at the same time which wasn't great.
    On all previous cars wipers first and then eventually water which annoyed me intensely.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Anne View Post
    On mine, water first and plenty of it, then wipers.
    On my wife's previous Nissan Note, lots of water then wipers.
    On my faithful Accord, both at the same time which wasn't great.
    On all previous cars wipers first and then eventually water which annoyed me intensely.

    But you have a Golf do you not, looking at your footer?
    2008 Fox 1.2

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lemta View Post
    I highly doubt that it's possible to change this behaviour through coding / vcds. It will be hard coded into the wiper control unit.
    Damn that is annoying. I really hope there is some way of doing so. Even if its a hardware mod to the wiper module
    2008 Fox 1.2

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sam&Anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RomeoJuliet View Post
    But you have a Golf do you not, looking at your footer?
    Yes, as does KeithUK who replied earlier. Mine was also in response to your post #3.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

  9. #9
    Administrator Crasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    21,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Midnight oil or insomnia because your mind will not turn off not matter how much Vodka...
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

    Vile Invention

    Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

    W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine washes then wipes. It's a 2006 Fox 1.2. I wouldn't have thought the programming would have changed. Perhaps it's the one-way valve that prevents the fluid flowing back to the reservoir that's failed. I don't know if there's a one-way valve in the washer nozzles - the nozzles are very easy to change because they unclip - I've never seen that on a car before - must be a VW thing. If the one-way valve is at the reservoir end I've not had reason to fiddle in that area so no idea I'm afraid.

    What you could do to check - operate the wash-wipe by holding the switch position until you get a decent flow out of the nozzles. Pause a moment. Then do it again. If it now washes before wiping but wipes before washing if you leave it overnight - bingo - it's the non-return valve!

    Scott
    2006 Fox Urban 1.2, BMD, Petrol

  11. Likes Pete1 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •