Thread: NOx Sensor 2 Bank 1

Post Thanks / Like

NOx Sensor 2 Bank 1

I am after some help with a faulty NOx sensor. According to the fault codes I pulled, it's NOx sensor 2 Bank 1 - No communication (U10C200).
    First things first... Where is the sensor and probe? Is it likely to be the sensor or the probe (difference between <20 and >100)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by road_dancer View Post
    I am after some help with a faulty NOx sensor. According to the fault codes I pulled, it's NOx sensor 2 Bank 1 - No communication (U10C200).
    First things first... Where is the sensor and probe? Is it likely to be the sensor or the probe (difference between <20 and >100)?
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, is this your Sharan or are you trying to fix a problem for someone else?

What did you use the scan for that error code as I don't have that one. I have 80 error codes for Nitrogen Oxides (NOx).

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry for not completing my profile, posting on mobile, and many options appear somewhat hidden on the mobile interface.

It's my Sharan, engine management light came on in December, tried reading and clearing codes then, but no luck. Given that it doesn't trigger limp mode, and I've successfully dealt with an ad blue warning and refill without the dreaded countdown of doom, I haven't prioritised it. However, with an MOT due beginning of March, I reckon its time to try and sort it out.

Please see attached link to screenshot
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/BYaad5vFeuSDLsbZ9

Screen shot of code(s) pulled by OBDEleven (wireless VAG group dongle and app, that is pretty much equivalent to VAG-COM\VCDS). After reading and clearing the codes, the "no communication" code recurs immediately.

I'm led to believe by a friend that sensor 2 bank 1 should be around the DPF somewhere, can you confirm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by road_dancer View Post

Screen shot of code(s) pulled by OBDEleven (wireless VAG group dongle and app, that is pretty much equivalent to VAG-COM\VCDS). After reading and clearing the codes, the "no communication" code recurs immediately.
    That picture just short an error code with no description, which I've never heard of. Clearing codes ONLY clears the ecu you still have to fix the problem.

There is nothing equivalent to VAG-COMVCDS, only VAG-COMVCDS.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realise clearing codes will still need the problem fixing, I am also well aware that many codes are false positives, so my first step is ways to clear the code and see if it recurs.
    The fault has, so I know I have a fault.
    I also know which sensor/probe is reporting the fault, sensor 2, bank 1.
    I know that there are two parts, the sensor block and the probe tail. The probe costing less than 20, the sensor block costing a lot more.

What I don't know is where sensor 2, bank 1 is physically located. I am told it's somewhere near the DPF. Is this correct? Are there any pictures that can help me identify it?

What I would like to know, is in the experience of other people, is it typically the probe or the sensor that becomes faulty on these vehicles?

So, rather than acting superior, and asking questions that don't address my questions, can you offer any help? As regards OBDeleven, I can use VCDS codes and reprogram modules in the same way. Yes, it may not be all the way up there with VCDS, but it is somewhat of an equivalent, and is not just a standard OBDII reader with Torques.

6. Likes Pete1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, for the record, Nox bank 1 sensor 2 is about halfway down the exhaust. Sensor 1 is tucked at the back of the engine bay, trace from the large connector block on the firewall (number 458 on mine at least)

Sensor 2 probe is nice and obvious on top of the exhaust, and the sensor block mounted behind the plastic splash guard on the passenger side.

Fitted a replacement unit, and so far, so good.