Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Evening all, so I purchased a Golf 1.5 evo 130BHP manual 3 months ago, with around 8000 miles on the clock. Itís suffering from the same issues posted around the forums, kangarooing in 1st gear, with VW telling me a software update due. I could live wirh that, but since then the car has once gone into limp home mode, returning to its normal self once the engine was turned off and back on. Took to local dealer who advised they couldnít find a fault code for this... so I carried on. Yesterday when I started the engine, the car decided to rev itself as soon as it was started, two or three times up to about 2-500 revs. It then idled at around 1700rpm. Again switched engine off and on and there was no problem. Again took it to dealer who performed diagnostics and no fault codes found at all? Has anyone had similar issues? I appreciate itís a new engine but obviously worried this is going to be problematic. VW are taking the car in in a couple weeks for another look over. Any help/replies would be great!

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have Golf GT 1.5 TSI EVO and also experience hesitation / hiccup when taking up the drive in first gear. Thought it was a problem with my driving, but got a work colleague to drive it today and he experienced the same issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a software issue, it may be impossible to remedy through VW, only with an aftermarket remap.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at the big thread on Briskoda, some software updates have been released for some Skoda models with this engine in the last few days. At least one of them was almost immediately withdrawn again.
    I imagine that if one looked for relevant info on erWin for the VW brand, there might be some TPIs about these updates.
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    I imagine that if one looked for relevant info on erWin for the VW brand, there might be some TPIs about these updates.
    Nope, you need ODIS to go that deep.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eh? Ive seen TPIs (in general) on erWin and the Briski thread has examples of ones pertaining to this very issue that have been found there recently. There's a post halfway down this page with a cheeky screenshot of just such a thing by 'rayx'.
    https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...issue/?page=70

Post Thanks / Like
    That is ELSA pro, also available within ODIS for aftermarket users, it will take a while before the dodgy copies on fleaBay catch up. I don’t tend to use erWin for data use only for ODIS access. With that update, independents can now offer that flash but you would have to pay, so it is of limited use, probably won’t work though....

I tried Briskoda and found the forum quite intense and aggressive so dropped out and am now trying to help build this forums partner https://www.skodaforum.co.uk which like this one, I try and keep more calm and less impassioned.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Briskoda. It has its share of bellends, but so does any society.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am an official old git with far two many miles on the clock exhibiting an excessive consumption of high octane blends and I went on there to help but got savaged by twenty something desk pilots that thought they knew it all, they were just a ***** bubble in their parents future when I started wrenching on VW’s yet they poured arrogant self important scorn on what I had learnt working on their brand of cars for a living over the last four decades so I voted with my mouse. It seems to be a forum for over testosterone fuelled knobs. I have looked at other sites for other makes and see the same weekend warrior crap on there as well.

Vile Invention

10. Likes Sam&Anne, Pete1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a big shame, and their loss.
    How long ago was this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast