Thread: 1.5 TSI Evo engine problems

Post Thanks / Like

1.5 TSI Evo engine problems

1.5 TSI Evo engine problems

I am surprised to see no posts here about the problems of hesitation on take off with the 150ps version of the new 1.5 TSI EVO engine when mated to a manual gearbox. There is plenty of chat amongst the Skoda forums and amongst T-Roc owners but little relating to the Golf configuration of this engine.

My car (Golf GT) has had, from new, a hesitation / hiccup when taking up the drive is first gear once the clutch is released - like a misfire where it momentarily loses power and then takes it up again. In the old days you would call it a flat spot. My dealer, having plugged it in, tells me that no fix exists yet but VW are aware of the problem. The reports elsewhere suggest that VW have been in denial of the issue but an article recently on the HonestJohn website https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ow...si-evo-engine/
    announces that VW are acknowledging the issue.

Other makes of cars with similar characteristics are said to have faults with the clutch switch or throttle potentiometer but it feels like a ECU software issue to me - but who knows without the right diagnostic equipment and software?
    Some Skoda owners (paticularly in Kodiaq guise) talk of Kangaroo hops - my experience is only a single moment of hesitation once you have taken up the drive, every time, hot or cold. It makes heavy traffic driving very uncomfortable and sadly very difficult to 'drive' round. DSG cars are said not to be so affected (they have a slightly different issue apparently) and I've read no reports of this issue with the 130ps version of this engine.

Am I the only Golf owner with this issue - I suspect not? Are there any other Golf owners here who have been down this road? We probably need some 'chat' about it to help shake the VAG tree a bit more vigorously?

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Has been a little discussion here: https://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=31956
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

Post Thanks / Like
    And there's another thread somewhere on here in which I've linked to the multi-multi-page Briskoda one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete 1, I suspect your post on the other thread "I would suggest that this is a cycle-beating software tweak for the new emissions tests, done to get the cars compliant/sold more rapidly than they could any other way. Presumably they hope(d) that they could develop a further software tweak later that would restore drivability without putting them outside the emissions limits." is probably spot-on. Thanks for your response. Hopefully VAG monitor these forums and get a sense of how customer reaction is building especially in the light of their history over the last couple of years!
    Thanks and regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe, but it does seem to be the case that not all cars are affected, some owners reporting zero symptoms, others only when engine cool, others at all times.
    The complexity of these engines and their systems is so high though, that instabilities could result from tiny differences, I imagine.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are planning to order 1.5 TSI Bluemotion 130HP Golf estate with manual gearbox. Having read all those posts about massive problems on Skodas ant T-Rocs I am now wondering if 130HP version is also affected? I guess Skoda and T-Roc have only 150HP vesion available? Maybe someone with 130HP version could confirm the problem or not. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slavic View Post
    We are planning to order 1.5 TSI Bluemotion 130HP Golf estate with manual gearbox. Having read all those posts about massive problems on Skodas ant T-Rocs I am now wondering if 130HP version is also affected? I guess Skoda and T-Roc have only 150HP vesion available? Maybe someone with 130HP version could confirm the problem or not. Thanks.
    We have the 1:5 TSI 130hp Bluemotion and never had a problem, tired all the mode settings all good, gearbox sweet, accelerates from stop no problems.
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV EVO 1.5 TSI 130 5 Door Tornado Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john2 View Post
    We have the 1:5 TSI 130hp Bluemotion and never had a problem, tired all the mode settings all good, gearbox sweet, accelerates from stop no problems.
    Thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've noticed occasional hesitation/mild hunting when cold if I enter a stop start traffic situation (when leaving work).
    Doesn't happen when I set off for work because no traffic is about.
    Disappears after a couple of minutes and is more an inconvenience so I've never followed it up at the garage.
    2017 Golf R-Line 1.5, DSG