Thread: Eos 2.0 Sport 'Sawtooth' rear tyre noise

Post Thanks / Like

Eos 2.0 Sport 'Sawtooth' rear tyre noise

My recently bought Eos Sport FSI has the dreaded 'Sawtooth' rear tyre noise. I originally thought it was a wheel bearing on it's way out, but having the car on a hoist, there was no 'play', or noise on spinning the rear wheels. I decided to swap the rear wheels side to side while I had the car in the air.The tyres are all very recent non directional Goodyear F1 Eagle asymmetric and show no wear other than the 'sawtooth' on the inside edges of the rear tyres. I have since had 4 wheel alignment done on a 'Supertracker'? machine. The guy doing this was 99% sure the wear was caused by worn rear shocks. I don't think it is, as you can physically feel the sawtooth wear. Anyhow I'm currently struggling to upload the 'before' and 'after' images(images too large?) in the hope that the forum Guru's can see if the adjustments have been done sympathetically to ease the sawtooth wear. Mileage is currently 60,300m.

Before adjustments. After adjustments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sam 0314A.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	6489 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sam 315A.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	6488
    Last edited by oktember; 11-02-19 at 19:09. Reason: trying to include tracking image!
    2007 Jetta Sport 2.0 TDI-PD (BKD), DSG 82400 miles
    2008 EOS Sport 2.0 BWA DSG 59500 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    If your posting pictures don't you do a preview first as that is just jumbled?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pic's uploaded, does the alignment look ok ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming you have 18" wheels the rear camber for sports suspension (not DCC) should be -1 45' +/- 30' with a total toe of +10' +/-10' so the camber is OK but not perfect but the toe to me looks way out. The PQ35 platform (and closely related PQ46) rear suspension is extremely prone to knocking out the rear tyres, we serviced a Golf 6 yesterday where both have gone like a 50p and today another one the same. We specify to our alignment centre to set the camber at the maximum tolerance so -1 15' and only the set the total toe as close to -10' as they can get it. However, if the system has worn bushes, such as the lower arm inner and tie rods then there is no point setting it up. Also it is vital that the rear bump stops are in good condition and not perished with the dust shields down the damper. Then again the one yesterday had all that done last year including two new rear Uniroyal RS3 tyres and Powerflex inner arm bushes and it STILL knocked out the rear tyres in 10K.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

5. Thanks oktember thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response Crasher, it is the Eos Sport, running 18" wheels. I will have to check for wear in the lower arm inner bushes/tie rods/rear bump stops etc. Though if you've just had a Golf 6 with all this done last year and still knocked out the tyres in 10k! it would seem futile. Then, I'll have to either live with the noise/expense or get rid of the car. As an aside, not sure if it's related(regarding rear suspension) or not?, but my 2007 Jetta Sport BKD is the most 'quiet'/'planted' and 'even tyre wear' car I've owned, I may well ask my daughter to return it!

Post Thanks / Like
    And the daft thing there is both share the exact same rear suspension design.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

8. Thanks oktember thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ah!, @Crasher, do you think it would be worthwhile having the Eos adjusted to the exact same spec's as my Jetta?. (assuming there's no wear in the lower arm bushes etc) I didn't realise they were running the same rear suspension. My Jetta Really is very tight/planted and low noise/wear tyre wise, even though it's running cheap Nexen N8000 tyres 225/45/17.
    Last edited by oktember; 15-02-19 at 20:15. Reason: add info

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t remember what the specs are, I would need to look it up. I think it is almost inevitable that the lower link inner and track control links bushes are worn. We like to fit Powerflex on the lower inners but the one I mentioned had this done a couple of years ago. Certain types of tyre design seem to be more prone as well but I was very surprised to see it on a Uniroyal RS3, we have used hundreds without a single issue. Also, remember to check the bump stops on top of the dampers, they play an important role in preventing excessive squat.

Vile Invention

11. Thanks oktember thanked for this post