Thread: Notchy steering - 2016 Citigo

Post Thanks / Like

Notchy steering - 2016 Citigo

I collected my first Skoda last Saturday - a 2016 Citigo Colour Edition, which has covered 26k miles. Approved car from a main dealer, 6 weeks of the original warranty, then a 12 month used car warranty.

I noticed when driving at 60 on a fairly straight road that the steering had a slight notchy feel either side of straight ahead. Turn the wheel very slightly to make a small correction on a very gentle curve, and the wheel felt as if it got heavier, then lighter again as I turned further. I didn't notice it for the rest of the journey, as the traffic was heavier and slower moving.

Today I had to stop for roadwork traffic lights. While I was stationary I turned the steering wheel slightly, and it moved in a series of small jerks, making a small clunking/squeaking noise each time. Back home on my driveway, and the steering was smooth.

My previous runabout, a worn out old Panda, also had electric PAS, and apart from being overly light, it felt just like an old-style hydraulic system.

Is this a characteristic of the Citigo/Up!, or is there a problem?
    2015 Touareg R-Line 3.0 V6 TDI-CR
    2016 Skoda Citigo 1.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Skoda only make one Citigo model.

Manufacturer: Skoda, Date(s) Used: 11/2012-, Model: Citigo, Engine Code: CPGA, 50Kw, 68PS, 1.0 Ltr, 3 Cyls, Remarks: Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) SRE
    Manufacturer: Skoda, Date(s) Used: 10/2011-, Model: Citigo, Engine Code: CHYB, 55Kw, 75PS, 1.0 Ltr, 3 Cyls, Remarks: SRE
    Manufacturer: Skoda, Date(s) Used: 10/2011-, Model: Citigo, Engine Code: CHYA, 44Kw, 60PS, 1.0 Ltr, 3 Cyls, Remarks: SRE

This forum also has https://www.skodaforum.co.uk/ if your interested.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I hadn't seen that Skoda forum
    2016 Skoda Citigo 1.0

Post Thanks / Like
    The system used is a bit of a departure for VW, with their electric rack or electro hydraulic pump and conventional hydraulic rack but this is a steering column system like froggy cars have used for years and as yet I have not had any issues with it. Fully electric systems can be sensitive to low battery voltage and the car may have been standing before you bought it.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

5. Thanks clockworks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. The electric motor is built into the column, not into the rack?
    I've driven the car about 200 miles since I got it, so I would expect the battery to be fully charged by now.

I took the car out last night after posting here. Stopped at the same set of roadworks, steering did exactly the same thing.

I tried it again when I got home a few miles later. With the engine running, it felt OK on my driveway. I switched off the ignition, but left the key in, so obviously the PAS motor wouldn't run.
    For a few degrees either way the steering wheel was quite light, then a bit of a clonk/squeak and the steering got a lot heavier.
    It's like there's some slack in a universal joint.

It could all be in my head, but I've never felt anything like it in 40 years of driving many different cars.

Booked in for the technician to have an accompanied test drive on Thursday.
    2016 Skoda Citigo 1.0

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be a fault in the rack, u/j shaft, column motor, a ball joint or something else, I have not had to work on the system yet. Yes it uses a column motor like many other small cars from Vauxhall’s and French manufacohave been using for years. Often these column systems are repurposed into older cars to give them power steering, I am contemplating it on my Beetle at some point when I get the time to rebuild it.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

8. Thanks clockworks thanked for this post