Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Golf Engine cut out and no fault code

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Engine cut out and no fault code with what?

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 10/2003-07/2005, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: BKD, 103Kw, 140PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD) 16v Timing belt

Post moved to correct section.
    Apologies for the indiscretion...

Car detail: Golf Match TDI 105 1.9l; Variant ACBXEX0; 77Kw; Engine number BXE
    2008 Golf 1.9 TDI-PD BXE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie3079 View Post
    Hi, apologies the engine code is BXE - numbers that follow are 720292. Thanks!
    As I asked what did you use to get that error code as I've never heard of 720292.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 03/2007-07/2009, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: BXE, 77Kw, 105PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD) 8v Timing belt
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    That 720292 is his engine number Keith, not a fault code.
    As he said in post 1 , RAC man "completed a full diagnostic and nothing came up". I doubt that at the time the OP was paying much attention to what code reading equipment was in use. If you're really keen to find out, try contacting RAC to ask. I don't see it benefitting the OP much though.

I personally don't have any particular knowledge about the BXE engine to suggest what might be causing these cut-outs, but in general, crank sensors can misbehave without throwing up fault codes, and can do so in such a way that they only play up when hot. I do have some Golf circuit diagrams if that turns out to be useful.

Maybe 'Crasher' will pop back in with some useful, specific knowledge.
    Last edited by Pete1; 16-02-19 at 08:02.
    My car: 2003 Polo 1.4 BBY, Petrol
    Good Lady's: 2005 Mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.2, AZQ

4. Likes eddie3079 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pete is was a bit early when I posted that. They need to post the engine code not the number as that confuses posts.

The RAC use a good generic scanner because of all the vehicles they deal with.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mistakes like that happen when it is late, sort of around 2 hours after getting home...
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

7. Likes eddie3079 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete1 View Post
    That 720292 is his engine number Keith, not a fault code.
    As he said in post 1 , RAC man "completed a full diagnostic and nothing came up". I doubt that at the time the OP was paying much attention to what code reading equipment was in use. If you're really keen to find out, try contacting RAC to ask. I don't see it benefitting the OP much though.

I personally don't have any particular knowledge about the BXE engine to suggest what might be causing these cut-outs, but in general, crank sensors can misbehave without throwing up fault codes, and can do so in such a way that they only play up when hot. I do have some Golf circuit diagrams if that turns out to be useful.

Maybe 'Crasher' will pop back in with some useful, specific knowledge.
    Thanks for this Pete - certainly another thing to consider should replacing the relay not work.

Silly question alert - I've been phoning around to try and find a suitable relay, a common question i get is what ampage does it need to be - does this vary from model to model or engine size? I've not had the opportunity to take it out yet - (need to find it first!) the mechanic I use has been in touch with VW direct but they don't appear to have been much help - is it something that can be searched/traced simply by them looking up my registration number/details?

Thanks everyone for your input so far!
    2008 Golf 1.9 TDI-PD BXE

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be able to help you find the part number, but it will almost certainly be easier to read it off the existing item, provided access isn't too horrible.
    I'm not sure that a general purpose relay will do the job. T

here will be a big (font) number on the top face, then a 9-digit number, with possibly some letters after, on one side of the relay, probably. The 9 digit one (plus letters) is what you need.
    Just realised you'll need to know which one is the fuel pump relay. I'll just try to find that info for you, might be a little while as I'm on lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuel Pump Relay (J17) 167 409 449 614 646 from May 2008 449 Four-Wheel-Diesel (53) Fuel Pump Relay (J17) (pre-supply pump) 167

11. Likes eddie3079 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, so an update - replaced the fuel pump relay and still have the same issue

In the attached picture my mechanic and I noticed that the big black relay (marked 100) was running very hot - too hot to touch once the engine had cut out so going to try swapping this, although I am not convinced....Attachment 6495

I checked on the suggestion about the camshaft sensor - this has already been replaced previously so unlikely to be the issue.

All of this will have exhausted my mechanics knowledge of what to do/check (and he used to work for VW, Audi and BMW!) and has suggested it needs to go to a VW main dealer - I am more than happy to be convinced otherwise. They obviously have access to the centre at Milton Keynes where they collate all of the issues experienced nationally and may be able to offer a solution if it has happened elsewhere.

Already £450 in to trying to sort this issue!!
    2008 Golf 1.9 TDI-PD BXE

Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment not working for me. Where is this 100 relay, on the same line as the fuel pump one? Or??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast